Nikkor 300mm AFS - First Close Ups

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Winnie, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Some taken tonight in less than ideal conditions, light breeze causing all sort of problems. Really it was just a run out to see what sort of magnification I could get with som kenko tubes attached. Pretty happy overall but the Kenko tubes are not good enough quality for this lens, too much movement. I will be looking out for a Nikon tube or two.

Technique was a bit off tonight and I struggled to get parallel with them blowing in the wind. All of these have had NeatImage noise reduction.

Nikon D200 ,Nikkor 300mm f/4 ED-IF AF-S
    1/160s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso800

1/320s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso800

1/320s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso640

1/250s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso400

1/80s f/7.1 at 300.0mm iso800

Comments welcomed.

PS I love this lens!

Cheers
    Alex

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are mighty beautiful images.

3. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    nicely done

4. Great shots...clarity, bokeh are excellent. I'm dying to get this lens but I know the VR version is around the corner so I'm patiently waiting. The 2.8 vr is just too expensive for me now.

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Very nice set with the last one being my favorite. I see that it's the same kind of damsels that we have here. Looks like you have caught a Sympetrum sanguineum in the second picture. We use to have a lot of those but I haven't seen any this year. I was out too tonight shooting some more damsels and I knew the light was poor so I brought my D50 and shot at ISO 800. Got a few keepers although the wind was teasing too. I use the same set up and am fairly satishfied with the Kenko tubes but I haven't tried the Nikon tubes yet.

6. Thanks all.

Torben, the problem I had with the Kenko tubes was too much play between them and the camera. I can imagine that at very low shutter speeds the vibration would be too much. How have you found the tripod collar? I know lots of people recommend the Kirk replacement.

Cheers

Alex

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Hi Alex. I can see what you mean about the Kenko tubes and I suppose that if you want to shoot at real low shutter speed that would be a problem. I have tried low shutter speeds like 1/10 or lower without luck. Maybe the tubes are to blame. I'm thinking of a collar replacement too. Right now I'm using a cork from a wine bottle but have been thinking about the Kirk replacement. If I choose the Kirk replacement I would probably have to order it from the States as I have not seen any European dealers so it would be quite expensive as there will be taxes too. I've also been wondering about the Burzynski collar. It should be good for macro work. I've been reading this thread: https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=116063. Let me know if you find out anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Nice shots. The tubes should be fine, even with the play. The thing to remember with macro, especially when using tubes, is any movement (wind, camera shake, etc) will be greatly exaggerated in the photo. I use the tubes as well, and have found that mirror lock up and a remote shutter release are essential to a sharp picture with the tubes attached. Give it a try next time and see what a difference it makes.

9. mighty kwl pics
    sharp lense that is;)
    and nice colours aswell
    good job;)

10. The Kirk collar does look like a great replacement but I am not really seeing that much of an issue with the Nikon one at the moment. More testing is required I think plus more money if I decide I need the Kirk one! :wink:

You can get the Kirk collar from the Nikonians store, payment in Euro's.

The most pressing thing that needs upgrading for me is my tripod head. My Manfrotto 484rc2 is just too weeny and week for such a big setup. Trouble is that everyone recommend the Markins, RRS and Kirk heads, all of which cost a small fortune. I am looking at a Manfrotto 488 or 490 or maybe a Giottos. What are you using?

Cheers
    Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  11. Thanks Rich.

I use MLU and a remote most of the time anyway but with the wind last evening it was useless. I will continue with the Kenko tubes for now, if for no other reason than that I don't have any more money!:wink:

Cheers

Alex

12. Thanks Tommy

13. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I'm using the Manfrotto 486RC2.

14. How do you find it if I may ask? Any vibration problems?

I have been doing a lot of reading about how I just 'have' to have a Markins head and a CF tripod. Not sure I can afford it but if it means I get the most out of the 300mm then I might have to.

Alex

15. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I haven't had any problems with the tripod head. What I think I need is a new and better tripod and a new collar for the 300. Oh yes and a camera with MLU as I shoot with the D80. I think I'll start with the new collar, then the camera with MLU and then the new tripod and then another head maybe. Money, money, money. :biggrin:

16. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Great shots Alex. I have used the same combo you are using (300 f/4 and kenko tubes) I used them on my d-70 for a year and a half and then they just quit. I have a d-200 and some nikon tubes now. The nikon tubes are much more robust and there are no looseness isssues. I have the kirk foot on my 300f/4, made a big difference. I am using a wimberley sidekick on an acratech ballhead on a gitzo 1325. I also use MLU or exposure delay and a release. I haven't found a cure for the wind yet.

17. Torben, that is interesting that you haven't had any problems with the Manfrotto. Maybe I should try that first and rather than spending £200 on a Kirk head.

I would like the new collar too but for now I am going to try the cork trick on it.

Cheers

Alex

18. Hi Scott,

I am looking out for a PN-11 as that is likely to be what I will use most of the time. I have seen prices for them ranging from £100-175, ouch! It's only a tube after all.:eek::wink:

The Kirk collar sounds like a winner and I would like it but for now it's gonna have to wait. I will try the cork under the collar trick for now.

That is a serious tripod setup you have there, I guess you use longer lens than the 300mm too? Whereas it's my longest lens and with budget constraints it's likely to stay that way for a while!:wink:

Thanks

Alex

19. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Yes Alex, I use the tripod for a slightly longer lens too. (500 f/4 p) I find the sidekick makes it easier to get set up on the subject a little quicker. I've also used a 1.7 TC with the 300 mm for closeup shots.

20. "The most pressing thing that needs upgrading for me is my tripod head. My Manfrotto 484rc2 is just too weeny and week for such a big setup. Trouble is that everyone recommend the Markins, RRS and Kirk heads, all of which cost a small fortune. I am looking at a Manfrotto 488 or 490 or maybe a Giottos. What are you using?"

Hi Alex...
    We use the manfrotto 468 head, one of their strongest heads. With wimberley sidekick which is easily taken off if you use the tripod with a lens that does not have a collar.