Nikkor 45mm f/2.8P replacement

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kaspar, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    Hello!
    I'm in the search to replace my beloved 45mm that I am using with my d40. I really like small size and the sharpness, but the thing is that I need something faster and with shallower dof for portraits.
    At the moment I am thinking of the 50mm f/1.8 and saving some money from selling the 45mm and maybe get a flash.
    How is the sharpness compared with those two lenses at f/2.8? How good is the bokeh? And is it any good for manual focus, because the d40 doesn't have a motor.

Regards,
    Kaspar

2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    If you're going to shoot at f/2.8 anyhow, the dof won't be appreciably different. Sharpness is about the same, IMHO bokeh favors the 45. Manual focus should be a bit easier because of the brighter image. Why not try a manual focus (Ai, Ais) version?

3. how about the 58 1.4 nokton? I believe it can meter with the d40

4. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    I'm not going to shoot at 2.8, I just thought how would the sharpness be at that aperture, comparing those two lenses. I really like how sharp the 45mm is wide open. With the 50mm, I could get shallower dof at 1.8, but is it any good?
    The d40 doesn't meter with ai or ais lenses so those are out.

That would be my second choice.

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The 50mm f/1.8 has bad bokeh IMO, (although bokeh is a very subjective assessment). Have a look at the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 if you want extreme DOF and AF with your D40. It's extremely sharp at f/1.4 and has wonderfully silky bokeh.

6. kaspar

kaspar

Jan 19, 2007
    Estonia
    Thanks, but the sigma is too wide and expensive for me. I want something cheaper than the 45mm so I could get a flash also. AF is not important.

Btw, how much are mint black 45mm going for at the moment?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.