1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikkor 50-300 4.5 ED AIS

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nikkor AIS, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I know it's heavy and a little slow and no VR or AF but Iv always thought the Nikkor 50-300 4.5 ED AIS was in a class by it self. Any one got any Image's or thoughts about one of the worlds first 6X zoom lens for SLR.

2. The following is a post I made after testing mine:

The following is a follow-up post using a different camera (D2Xs):

I really should use it more!

Regards,

3. Here are a couple of portraits before the local fox came calling:

69310963_rAok4-O.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

69310960_SuRmF-O.jpg

As I recall these were taken with the 1.6 TC which gives pseudo AF. Camera body D2HS iso 1250

I think it's a shame that they have not allowed use of this converter with the D3.

I don't agree with Bjorn about this converter, but I do agree with him about the lens. It is heavy and is really a tripod lens. Great for travelling around in a car, getting out, taking a carefully set up shot and then get back in the car! Mind you, with just this lens and one body in a decent rucksack, it probably wouldn't be too bad on a hike. I'll let somebody else try it though!

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  4. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Whoa...that lens is sharp

5. O.K. Last one! Previously posted.

D2Hs @ iso 1250 in good light (mistake)

Again perhaps with the TC16A.

69550589_vmTRY-O.jpg

Regards,

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Thanks Steve . I missed this thread but I really appreciate you taking the time in posting the images. Holy cow sharp lens is right very nice bokkeh as well. It seems to have the edge on the Nikkor 70-200 2.8 :biggrin:. Im seriously thinking of getting one of these. I would love to see more sample image's. Any of the lens mouinted to the D3. Thanks again

7. Sorry for going off topic but... Does the 1.6 TC's AF work with the D2HS straight out of the box or did you have to modify the TC?

I purchased one of those to try it with my AI/AIS glass only to read later on that the 1.6 TC was not meant to work with the D300/D700 without modification of the TC.

I haven't even tried mounting it on my D700 (D300 has since been sold) for fear of harming the D700. Will the 1.6 TC somehow work with the D700 and, say, a 105 Micro AI or a 200/4 AIS?

8. Hi Ricky,

Yes, it works straight out of the box with the D2Hs and the D2Xs. In their wisdom Nikon decided to disallow its use with the D3 and I assume the D700. It can of course be used manually, but that defeats the object somewhat.

For all I know the TC might be able to be rewired to work with these bodies, but it probably wouldn't then work with anythng else.

Regards,

9. I haven't got anything with the D3, but it might be worth a comparison with the D2Xs. I'll try it when I have a moment.

Bjorn rated it highly with the D2Xs, but doesn't like it with the D3.

Regards,

10. Thanks Steve.

I've found these modification instructions to the TC 16A which allows you limited use on more current Nikon bodies (fixed at widest aperture I think): http://www.foolography.com/free-stuff/modify-tc-16a/

I forgot to ask, are you able to use all aperture settings on the D2Hs and D2Xs? Would you know if they would work on the D2X? I'm thinking of getting one of those for time lapse purposes...the ability to use the TC 16a would be a great bonus!

11. Ricky,

I'm pretty sure it will work on all the professional bodies from D2Xs back to the F4. So you should be O.K. with a D2X.

Regards,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.