Nikkor 50 F2 AI, 35 bucks... a contender for best "budget" lens?

Borrowed my friends 50 F2 AI lens and took a few snaps, he bought it for 35 bucks on ebay...

Would you guys consider this lens a contender for Nikon's best budget lens?

Here's a couple of snaps: No time to practice just snapped away.

Here's my friend Panama, taken w/the 50 F2, at F4

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's another one,

Here is a bonus: 35-105 macro, which can be bought for 50 bucks on ebay or anywhere really... another contender for Nikon's best budget lens?

As always opinions appreciated.

Great shots. Not only one of the best budget Nikkor lenes. One of the best. It the modern age of 2.8 zooms, the humble F2 50mm still rules. Try it on the D3. My version is in my son's Bag untill I get him a auto focus, that is if he will trade me back. Pretty smart for a 11 year old.

I got my 50/2 AI for the US equiv of about $40, I tend to use it on my FA than my D50 because I have metering that way. However it's pretty good on both formats.

I compared it to the modern 50mm 1.8 AF I used to own and they were very similar at F2.

A truely magnificient lens which can give a run for cover to much revered 1.8,1.4 and 1.2

The colors it can render is simply excellent. One of my shots with this lovely lens

What can I say... I thought when I won the bid on this lens it was a 1.2. San said it was too good to be true and didn't believe I bought a 1.2 for $35. When it came in the mail, I was taken back to see it was an f2 not 1.2. Oh well the lens is still pretty sharp and for $35.... What can I say.

Arcinio you will never regret in the days to come when you get to used to its IQ, sharpness and color rendering.

Without igniting a contoversy, I say that it will blow the pants off 1.2, 1.4. and 1.8, her more acclaimed mates in the 50 mm range

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom