NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR

I have been using the Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 lens for a few years. While I'm more than happy with the results for birding, I wanted something a bit lighter, particularly if I'm using it with one of my Fuji bodies. Some info on using the Fuji's in this thread.

On Monday I ordered the Nikkor 500mm f/5.6E PF lens. It got shipped Tuesday, and now Wednesday, it is sitting in Melbourne waiting for delivery to me. Which could be today or tomorrow. Not sure why it can be picked up and shipped overnight, then sits around for a day or two before final delivery. 🤷‍♂️

Occasionally I will also use one of my Olympus bodies with the Panasonic 100-400mm lens. Its a great lightweight alternative, but I still prefer to use a DSLR for birding.

I'm looking forward to trying the new lens over the weekend.

Here are a couple of images of a Spotted Pardalote (Male) photographed on different days, different lighting, time of day, etc., etc., there is also one in the Fuji thread linked above. Once I get a few images of a particular bird with the new lens, I should be able to get a rough comparison between the lenses.

Taken with a D500 and 200-500mm lens
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Taken with Olympus E-M1 MKII and Panasonic 100-400mm lens

The lens turned up this morning. Every evening this week has been lovely and sunny. Not this one! It was breezy and overcast when I arrived home from work. I wanted to test the new lens, so I wandered up to the local reserve at the end of our street. It was quite dark amongst the bush, and not too many birds around. Then it rained...talk about giving the lens a christening. :) At least I managed a couple of snaps to check everything is working okay.

The forecast for the weekend is looking great for birding which will give me a better opportunity to have a play.

First impressions, it focuses faster than the 200-500mm, and is much lighter to carry.

50978630827_ced3efb110_h.jpg

50978517406_4f29756497_h.jpg

Is it worth buying a replacement foot for this lens, and if so which one?

I made sure the thumbscrew was tight before I attached the Blackrapid strap yesterday, but I’m a little concerned by comments on the internet about the foot coming off if the quick release was accidentally pushed.

Real Name
Andy
Is it worth buying a replacement foot for this lens, and if so which one?

I made sure the thumbscrew was tight before I attached the Blackrapid strap yesterday, but I’m a little concerned by comments on the internet about the foot coming off if the quick release was accidentally pushed.
There are actually two possible failure points for the removable foot: the thumbscrew that you mentioned, and the receiver plate attached to the lens collar. The latter grew loose over time on mine. I noticed a little play with the foot attached and thumbscrew secured tightly and solved the problem by tightening the four small Philips head screws. Interestingly, the 70-200 f/2.8E uses the same foot but mine does not ever seem to require those screws to be tightened.

Real Name
Mike
Conragts! I know your just beginning to familiarize yourself with your new lens, but each lens has a different look from what I see. Initially the 500mm looks sharper and contrasty, and the bokeh looks busier.

Thank you all for your words of support and kind comments.

So far I'm pleased with the lens, however, I do have a few issues with image stabilisation. I have tried both Normal and Sport mode, and some of the images have movement. It wasn't an issue with the 200-500mm. More practice required I feel.

I have also purchased a Hejnar H129-500 replacement foot. I'm a little paranoid about the Nikon one. :)

Today after work it was still overcast, but much brighter than yesterday, and no rain. Like yesterday, there were not too many birds around. I usually find after around 2pm the smaller birds tend to disappear.

Here are a few snaps from the small reserve at the end of our street.

#1 Laughing Kookaburra

#2 Laughing Kookaburra, I'm not sure if it was laughing at me, the camera, or the new lens :)

#3 Grey Shrike-thrush

#4 Eastern Yellow Robin

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom