Nikkor 50mm 1.4 Focusing Issues?

Now that I have my D90, I have AF on one of my favorite lenses; the 50mm 1.4. I absolutely love the lens, but I am a bit concened with AF. During my past "shoot" with the lens, I was in a controlled enviornment(using my portable studio) and out of 100 images, about 10-15 of them were front focused. The subject in the image was my baby nephew, and although the focus point was over his eyes, his hands were considerably sharper than his eyes/face. The images were still usable after a bit of USM. I shot set the lens at f/4 and left it there for the entire shoot.

So my question is, when a lens has front focusing issues, is it an issue that will exist in all images, or just a select few? I am wondering if the mis-focused images were as a result of poor tecnique, rather than a lens issue. I used my 17-55 2.8, and noticed no issues with focus.

So if we deem this a tecnique problem, what should I know when it comes to AF on non SWM lenses? Anything I should be doing differently when it comes to AF?

Also, the D90 has an 11 point AF system; one of which is a cross-type. I have been using any of the 11 points when framing a portrait. Should I be using the more powerfull center cross-type and then re-compose?

Morgan

Here's what I do and since I started doing this I rarely get any shots that look out of focus. I always used to use the center AF point and recompose my shot. I used to that that with film also. Problem is that with film you never examine your picture at full size on a monitor. When you do this with digital the slight recomposing of your shots something throws the AF off depending on the aperture you use.

So what I do now, and I've also done it with the D80 even though it has less AF points. I Look through viewfinder, compose my shot, and then I will move the AF point to my point of focus without recomposing the shot again.
Hope this will help you with more accurate focus.

If this doesn't help you getting more accurate focus your focus might off. To check it you will need to download a focus chart to verify it, and if it is send it to Nikon for AF calibration.
Good luck

My 50 1.4 just went to the Nikon Factory Service Center. I have had issues w/ it since December when I got it. I think if it's front focusing you will still get in focus images sometimes if you are at the right angle. BUT----you want it to focus right all the time, lol. Send it in.

Latest threads

Top Bottom