Nikkor 50mm 1.8G or Nikkor 50mm 1.4G?

Which would you choose for overall IQ, bokeh, value?

• Nikkor 50mm 1.8G

Votes: 70 72.2%
  • Nikkor 50mm 1.4G

Votes: 27 27.8%

• Total voters
I've owned all the Nikon auto-focusing 50's. I like the 1.8G the best. It wasn't an issue of cost, I just like its bokeh more.

But if you really need f/1.4 ...

I compared both before buying. I chose the 1.8G. Other than the f/1.4-f/1.7 aperture, I found no advantage to the 1.4G and many disadvantages. The 1.8G focuses slightly faster, it's half the price, it's sharper at f/1.8 up to about f/2.8 or so and above it sharpness is at least the same or better, the corners are sharper in some apertures, it's a bit more resistant to flare, it's smaller and lighter. The 1.4G wasn't so sharp at f/1.4. So easy decision in the end.

How come DX0 mark rate the 1.4 higher though? I keep hearing the 1.8 is a better lens because it's sharper, but then why is there such a difference? Does the 1.8 have a rubber gasket on the back too for weather sealing?

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/03/13/dxomark-best-lenses-for-the-nikon-d800-camera.aspx/

I just can't seem to sell my 1.4G. Not because nobody wants it, but because i'm happy with it. Sure it's a little soft at 1.4, and if I had to choose all over again, it would probably be the newer 1.8 version i'd get. But honestly, it's still a great lens, either way you look at it.

The 1.8G... the 1.4 to me isnt worth the extra money. The 1.8G is an outstanding performer in every respect. You wont be dissappointed.

D

Deleted member 4116

How come DX0 mark rate the 1.4 higher though? I keep hearing the 1.8 is a better lens because it's sharper, but then why is there such a difference? Does the 1.8 have a rubber gasket on the back too for weather sealing?

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/03/13/dxomark-best-lenses-for-the-nikon-d800-camera.aspx/

I just can't seem to sell my 1.4G. Not because nobody wants it, but because i'm happy with it. Sure it's a little soft at 1.4, and if I had to choose all over again, it would probably be the newer 1.8 version i'd get. But honestly, it's still a great lens, either way you look at it.

I don't think anyone is discrediting the 1.4 as a good lens, they're just saying they'd prefer to get the 1.8G, just like you mentioned.

Plus, these tests only take into account what these lenses can do in controlled environments. Real world use will ALWAYS prove controlled tests otherwise.

DxO takes transmission into account, which gives the 1.4 a major advantage, of course.

The 1.8 also has the gasket.

I have the 1.8 because I'm not excited about the 50mm focal length, and it was cheaper and a tiiiiiny bit sharper maybe.

Managed to sell my 1.4G and "upgraded" to the 1.8. Have to admit, much better lens in most respects, lighter than the 1.4 too, and my pocket is a little bit heavier, since I made an extra few bucks on the sale of the 1.4. Ha ha.

Bump!

I'd like to upgrade my 1.8D, and these are obviously two of the contenders. But what about the 1.4 Sigma? The Nikon 1.4G is said to be a little soft wide open, which the Sigma is not - could that be a better choice? (Sigma is soft in the corners wide open, but I don't care for the corners). (use = Portraits, Babies, Weddings)

Lens-speed, can only be beaten by lens-speed!

If every beam of light counts -> take the f1.4

Cheers
Mike
Is this point being slightly overlooked? So the 1.8G is a little sharper from 1.8 to 2.x, but is it by enough that you'd actually notice when not doing a side by side test? Whereas the 1.4 can do 1.4 when you really need it, and obviously the 1.8 can't. Surely that's a big deal?

I'm lost between the choice of the 3. Looking at the shots from my 85mm 1.4, most are shot around f2.0, and I'm sure the same would be true if I had a 1.4 50mm lens - but some are wider, and I'd like to have the choice. But if I'd really appreciate the better results from the 1.8G at f1.8 - 2.x, I guess that would be the sensible choice :bangshead:

Post summary: what about the Sigma?

I bought the 50mm 1.4G before the 1.8G was available. Just because people think the 1.8G is better doesn't hurt my feelings. Mostly because I have a had time empathyzing with people in general and generally don't care what other people (besides a selective few out of seven+ billion) think about my 50mm 1.4G. I'm happy with my purchase post-50mm 1.8G release, and double so when I need the F1.4 which always seems to happen most around xmas time.

Latest threads

Top Bottom