1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

nikkor 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by evokel, Sep 7, 2008.

1. evokel

evokel

Sep 6, 2008
    florida
    could anyone give me info on either one of these and which one to lean towards. Im really new to photography and still getting to know the lenses. I have a d80, so could anyone tell me which one is for me please :smile:

2. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    I think everyone should own the 1.8. It's such a well-rounded lens at a great price. People don't understand how useful a larger aperture really is. Now if you can afford the 1.4 and would use that aperture, buy that one!

3. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    I think I have a bad copy of the 1.4
    I owned the 1.8 first and it was super sharp.
    I then got the 30 1.4 sigma and honestly that stayed on my camera more often than the nikkor 1.4! Today I have been playing around w/ the fine tune feature but I'm just not getting the results I should be getting. I'm sure it's a great lens---- IF you get a good copy. It has mixed/bad reviews on Fred Miranda.

4. I bought the F1.8 first (to save money) but eventually bought the F1.4 and sold the F1.8. The F1.4 is sharper up thru about F4 than the F1.8. It is my most used lens for natural light portraits of my grandson. If I could justify the 85mm F1.4 I would probably like that even better, but the 50mm F1.4 works very well for me. If cost is a serious consideration then the 50mm F1.8 is a great choice.

5. I bought the 1.8

I bought the 50/1.8 first and then the 1.4 - in my little experience the 1.8 has been sharper wide open up to f4 (contrary to what others say...) and now am left with a 1.4 and wish it was a 1.8

The 1.8 is a super capable lens, extremely sharp and test better than the 1.4

But don't take my word for it check these out...

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.4 D - Review /Test Report

Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8 D - Review /Test Report

Sure the borders are sharper with the 1.4 but are your subjects at the border of your frame or the center?

50/1.8 at 1.8 - sharp enough for ya? :wink::smile:

QuintetRS.

6. I find the 50 kinda boring, I much prefer the 35 f/2. On FX it rocks!

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

can't go wrong with a good sample of either one but i share the same expericence as u.

Dude -> those reports and charts and all that are just plain silly. i don't trust any of them! too much sample variation for a lagitimate control.

very first capture with my d200/50 1.4 mounted.

@1.4
    2256347701_8c48cb7892_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    50mm    f/1.4    1/1250s    ISO 100

:cool: 

8. gaozilla

gaozilla

Sep 8, 2008
    Chicago
    Hi evokel,

when i first bought my D50 body, i had the same dilemma... f/1.4 or f/1.8?! it drove me crazy... luckily, my friend owned an f/1.4, and he advised me that the extra f stop is not worth the money. so i took his advice, bought an f/1.8 at almost 1/3 the price, and i haven't regretted it since. the image quality is comparably the same, so why spend another $200?

my suggestion is to go with the f/1.8. considering how we're both noobs to this whole photography thing, that extra f/ stop isn't necessary to us.

thats my 2 cents,
    andy

9. gaozilla

gaozilla

Sep 8, 2008
    Chicago
    oh, and i have some samples of the f/1.8 on my flickr

edit: actually, all the pictures i have on my flickr are from the f/1.8

10. zerocool

zerocool

Jan 21, 2008
    Tracy Calif
    OFF TOPIC .. but u know whats interesting... i bought my 50mm 1.8 and used i think maybe once or twice lol...

11. It's too short for a small telephoto and it's too long to be a wide angle. It's just normal. :biggrin:

12. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    I love my 1.4

Jon

13. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

i don't even mind looking at these now since I upgraded....
    before they made me hate you and i got a sick feeling in my gut

14. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    if u can afford it buy the 1.4 for the 1.4....
    even if they were the same from 1.8 on 1.4 is soooo cool

15. Just try to buy either one gently used and try it out. If it doesn't suit you, you should be able to re-sell it for about what you paid and then you can try the other version or something completely different.

16. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    on an FX body, 50mm is bland. i spent too much time with a 50mm lens on a 35mm body when i was learning photography that i don't find myself reaching for my 50mm lenses on the D3. it was much better on a DX body as a short tele.

my vote goes for the f/1.8 over the f/1.4.

ricky

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

lol Randy ....same tummy ache i got when i had my 85 1.8 and kept viewing AWESOME 85 1.4 images...hurt so bad i just HAD-TO get one...so GLAD i did!
    :wink::Love:

18. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    That's pretty sweet. Makes my 50mm shots at 1.4 look like they were taken w/ a kit lens. Off to Nikon it goes...........I'll see if they can make it sharp like yours :) 

19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

thanks Lisa ...lots of sample variation with this lens. i went through 2 before finally buying this one new off the shelf ( i got lucky). when everything is RIGHT, u will KNOW it:wink:

20. Hey, evokel,

Welcome to the Cafe. It's a wonderful place to learn and share. There are some superb photogs here and they are willing to tell you what they have learned... as well as learning from you. Hope you enjoy it here.

I think everyone ought to have a Nikon 50/1.8 in their bag. It is very inexpensive, fast focusing, crisp and reliable. And it's an excellent lens on which to learn. Get yourself a 50/1.8 and see what it lets you do. Find its limitations and its strengths. Shoot landscapes and portraits and indoor and sports. It will teach you what your camera can do and what you need to do to get good images. After you've chalked up a few thousand images, you'll love having it mounted on your camera. And you'll know which lenses you'll want next... and you'll surely want several that will fill in the gaps you discover with the 50.

Then, I suggest you take a look at Sigma's new 50/1.4. According to DPR, even though it is expensive, it blows the doors off both Nikon 50's. But another 50 may slip down your "Gotta buy" list as you discover what you like shooting best and the lenses that will help you do that. Here's the review site...

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/

And BTW, be sure to have lots of fun along the way!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.