Nikkor 55-200 VR VS Sigma 70-300

Hey guys. I did a quick search and could not find anything that touched on these two lenses.

Right now I pretty much use my 18-135 since it is a nice all around lens. However, I find myself wanting more sometimes when it comes to zoom. I carry both lenses with me, but never use the 18-55. Ive read reviews for both and they seem good for the money. I was just curious if the VR trumps the extra 100MM for zoom.

Or would you recommend me getting a macro or 50MM for now and wait on the zoom?

Also, is the 18-55 VR kit lens considered an ultra wide, or just a telephoto?

TIA and sorry for the noob questions.

If you are using your 18-135 lens more often, then you do not need the 18-55.
I have not used the 18-135 but I have nothing but praise for the 18-55 and I use it often with my D70S.
No, the 18-55 is not an ultra wide lens although many photographers will not need to go wider than 18mm with DX format for their needs.
I also own a 55-200 non VR lens and I am very satisfied with the results I get from it. I am not familiar with the Sigma 70-300 but if you have in mind those focal lengths, I would recommend the Nikkor counterpart with VR. On a budget, you should cover your tele needs nicely, for the time being, with the 55-200 but if you thought of the 70-300 do not throw your money away and get it instead of the 55-200.
If you are contemplating macro photography, for the time being you could use your 18-55 and save money. I am sure the 18-135 could also be useful but I have not used one as I already mentioned. The 50mm lens is a very good lens if indeed you need one but do not jump on it till you have more experience.
Right now, as I see it, your 18-135 and the 55-200 or better yet, the 70-300 VR is all you need.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

My shooting varies. I am not really set on one type of thing. I like to shoot my daughter playing, cars, landscape (have a nice Chicago skyline shot but want to redo it eventually)

Ive read reviews on the Sigma 70-300 and it gets mixed reviews. Then again, so does the Nikkor.

Thanks for the heads up.

M

Martin O

I had both lenses on my D80. I did not like the Sigma at all, because of its CA and rotating front lens. You can never use the Sigma with a polarization filter on it.
The Nikon 55-200 VR is a better choice in the budget class.

Note: Nowadays are Sigmas quality control just a joke.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom