1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikkor 55-200 VR VS Sigma 70-300

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by CyberFish, Aug 9, 2009.

1. CyberFish

CyberFish

Mar 1, 2009
    Mundelein,IL
    Hey guys. I did a quick search and could not find anything that touched on these two lenses.

Right now I pretty much use my 18-135 since it is a nice all around lens. However, I find myself wanting more sometimes when it comes to zoom. I carry both lenses with me, but never use the 18-55. Ive read reviews for both and they seem good for the money. I was just curious if the VR trumps the extra 100MM for zoom.

Or would you recommend me getting a macro or 50MM for now and wait on the zoom?

Also, is the 18-55 VR kit lens considered an ultra wide, or just a telephoto?

TIA and sorry for the noob questions.

2. If you are using your 18-135 lens more often, then you do not need the 18-55.
    I have not used the 18-135 but I have nothing but praise for the 18-55 and I use it often with my D70S.
    No, the 18-55 is not an ultra wide lens although many photographers will not need to go wider than 18mm with DX format for their needs.
    I also own a 55-200 non VR lens and I am very satisfied with the results I get from it. I am not familiar with the Sigma 70-300 but if you have in mind those focal lengths, I would recommend the Nikkor counterpart with VR. On a budget, you should cover your tele needs nicely, for the time being, with the 55-200 but if you thought of the 70-300 do not throw your money away and get it instead of the 55-200.
    If you are contemplating macro photography, for the time being you could use your 18-55 and save money. I am sure the 18-135 could also be useful but I have not used one as I already mentioned. The 50mm lens is a very good lens if indeed you need one but do not jump on it till you have more experience.
    Right now, as I see it, your 18-135 and the 55-200 or better yet, the 70-300 VR is all you need.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

3. CyberFish

CyberFish

Mar 1, 2009
    Mundelein,IL
    My shooting varies. I am not really set on one type of thing. I like to shoot my daughter playing, cars, landscape (have a nice Chicago skyline shot but want to redo it eventually)

Ive read reviews on the Sigma 70-300 and it gets mixed reviews. Then again, so does the Nikkor.

Thanks for the heads up.

4. Martin O

Martin O Guest

I had both lenses on my D80. I did not like the Sigma at all, because of its CA and rotating front lens. You can never use the Sigma with a polarization filter on it.
    The Nikon 55-200 VR is a better choice in the budget class.

Note: Nowadays are Sigmas quality control just a joke.

5. erewhon

erewhon

Jan 12, 2009
    PA
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.