Nikkor 70 300, sharp enough?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Andyc, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    I have read a number of threads here where members have had their new lenses tuned for optimum sharpness. I would be most grateful if anyone could give an opinion on this shot taken hand held at 1/500 f 6.3 FL 116 (vr on).
    Am I being too critical if I say I expected it to be sharper?
    I have only sized it.

LL.

Thanks
    Andy

2. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thanks Edward. I will try again when the weather is better (rare this summer in the UK).

Best regards
    Andy

3. It would be reasonable to have greater expectations for sharpness. But before you go to the trouble of returning the lens, you should establish if the disappointing result stemmed from just the glass, or if there were technical issues.

It's hard to tell from such a small sample, but the image appears to be "muddy" suggesting a lighting problem. And, indeed, the histogram is heavily weighted to the left. If you take the original capture and adjust levels, you may find there are impressive details buried in the murk.

Here's a sample taken handheld at 1/200s f/7.1 at 155.0mm... but in higher contrast light.

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I agree with Frank, do some more investigating, I have found mine pretty good and is a light weight workhorse. Images below taken with 70-300 at 300mm.

Wade

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Wonderful shots of the Great Egrets, Wade. One of my favorite birds, but hard to find at my local haunts.

Fortunately, the 70-300 is pretty good for wee birdies, too.

original.

6. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Gotta love the 70-300vr

[​IMG]

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I, too, am struggling to judge if the used 70-300 VR I picked up is "sharp enough".

Based on the small amount of photos I've taken with the lens, I am starting to understand the lens. It requires good to bright lighting to get good results. Secondly, if you have enough light to use a fast shutter speed, then VR may not improve the sharpness of the image.

I've decided to work with the lens some more before deciding if my copy is "sharp enough".

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Super shot Frank,

I think you can take a hummer pic with a pinhole camera!

9. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Thank you all for your helpful comments and excellent examples of what the lens can do in the right hands.
    I will try your suggestions.

Best regards
    Andy

10. Andy,

I also have questioned whether my 70-300VR lens is "sharp enough". I would be interested in hearing how you did with trying the suggestions in this thread.

Thanks.

11. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Try as I might, I just can't bring myself to sell this little gem, even though I don't use it often.

To the OP, put you 70-300 in a tripod, release with a remote and then make a judgment on it's capabilities. You'll very easily be able to answer your own question.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.