Nikkor 70-300mm and Wide Angle

Just recently bought a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-f/5.6 AF-S for100USD.
I was wondering if I got a deal, I see them new for 600.00. But others are telling me that it is not a good lens. But then again, I get bashed for owning a d40x. :rolleyes:

Also, what would be the best wide angle lens for someone on a budget.

The 70-300mm lens commonly talked about is the $500 VR lens. The one you got is an older non-stabilized lens, and is typically around $100.

Nothing wrong with an 18-55mm VR kit lens to go with it.

I was wondering if I got a deal, I see them new for 600.00. But others are telling me that it is not a good lens. But then again, I get bashed for owning a d40x. :rolleyes:

If you got the older 70-300mm (one without VR) then it will not auto focus on your D40x.

If you did get the VR one then you got a great deal for $100. But I can't see anyone selling the VR one for $100 unless it's broken.

Yeah, received it today, and it won't auto focus with my D40x.

I guess I will try to manual focus with it for a bit.
Think it is better for me to sell the lens again, since its not what I need.
Or keep it and try and upgrade my body?

The guy told me that it would work with the d40x though, so I am not very impressed.

Yeah, received it today, and it won't auto focus with my D40x.

I guess I will try to manual focus with it for a bit.
Think it is better for me to sell the lens again, since its not what I need.
Or keep it and try and upgrade my body?

The guy told me that it would work with the d40x though, so I am not very impressed.

If you think your ready for a upgrade then go for it. A D80 or D90 would be a nice upgrade and the lens would auto focus on those bodies.

Is this the G lens or the D lens with ED glass?

This one, http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=NA079990366870&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=&item=90&ActivateTOC2=&ID=23&BC=NA&BCC=1&CC=7&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

or

This one, http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=NA079990451010&brandcategoryname=35MM&Mode=&item=90&ActivateTOC2=&ID=23&BC=NA&BCC=1&CC=7&CCC=2&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=

Well I have been shooting for a couple months now. The reason I got the d40x was just incase I didn't take to photography like I do other things. But I love it.
I was thinking about a d70 or d80, depending on my budget. I would really love a d90 though.

I believe it is the second link you posted, I don't have it with me now, but almost certain it is the second one.

You should be able to re-sell it for what you paid (if he won't take it back, which he should). I think the cheapest tele-zoom solution for you is the 55-200 which you should be able to get for 100-125 US without VR or 175-200 with VR (worth the extra dough if you can swing it).

As far as wide angle, what do you already have? I think one of the kit lenses (like the 18-55 for under 100) is going to be the best deal, to get into anything wider is going to cost you bucks.

Well I have been shooting for a couple months now. The reason I got the d40x was just incase I didn't take to photography like I do other things. But I love it.
I was thinking about a d70 or d80, depending on my budget. I would really love a d90 though.

I believe it is the second link you posted, I don't have it with me now, but almost certain it is the second one.

The D70 is a great camera also, but i'd get the D80 if you can, it's better.

So if it's the G lens it's more or less a kit lens and I've seen some good pic's from it. Check out this post about the lens, https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=233487&highlight=70-300mm

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be able to re-sell it for what you paid (if he won't take it back, which he should). I think the cheapest tele-zoom solution for you is the 55-200 which you should be able to get for 100-125 US without VR or 175-200 with VR (worth the extra dough if you can swing it).

As far as wide angle, what do you already have? I think one of the kit lenses (like the 18-55 for under 100) is going to be the best deal, to get into anything wider is going to cost you bucks.
Thank you.
I haven't really talked to him about it. But I guess it is kind of my fault. I will see if he will refund, if not I might just sell my d40x and kit lens, and just buy a new body. I wanted to upgrade anyways.

And my kit lens would be the best bet as a wide angle? You mentioned getting into anything wider would cost me more, what is the next one I should look at?

The D70 is a great camera also, but i'd get the D80 if you can, it's better.

So if it's the G lens it's more or less a kit lens and I've seen some good pic's from it. Check out this post about the lens, https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=233487&highlight=70-300mm
I will see what I can do, try and sell this body and lens if I can, then I might have enough for the d90 :)
Thanks, I will check that thread out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the Sigma 10-20mm or Tokina 12-24mm for wide angle.

I'd get yourself sorted first but the above will be worth looking into for the future.

They retail here in the UK for around £400 I make that about $680. Obviously cheaper if bought secondhand.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do:smile:

I would get either the sig 10-20 or the tokina 11-16, and then all you need is the 35 1.8 for indoors and you have a complete kit! wide, indoor-low light, tele...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom