1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikkor 80-200 push-pull

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bradford O, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Bradford O

Bradford O

Feb 16, 2007
    Olympia, Wa
    I have a Nikkor 80-200 AF push-pull from the mid-90s that I used extensively on a Nikon F4 and now on my D300. Is the IQ as good on that lens as on the newer 80-200s?

2. Supposedly it is marginally less but I have heard the opposite more than once. The two ringer w/ collar is supposedly the best of the bunch.

3. My big issue with the push/pull version was the AF speed. I found it noticeably slower than the 2-ring version - even on my pro D1 and D2-series bodies, which tend to make up for slower focusing AF lens. If shooting any type of action where you would benefit from a faster focusing lens, I'd pass on the push/pull version. Image quality wise, I don't remember it being significantly different than my 2-ring version, however I didn't keep the push/pull version that long.

4. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    I can speak that, at least with the two that I compared, the push-pull was definitely sharper and higher contrast than the two-ring w/collar version. I'd owned the push-pull version for awhile, but found a good deal on the two ring version here in the Cafe. After taking some pix and running some tests, I sold the two-ring and stuck with my older lens. Obviously, YMMV.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.