Nikkor 80-200 push-pull

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bradford O, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Bradford O

Bradford O

Feb 16, 2007
    Olympia, Wa
    I have a Nikkor 80-200 AF push-pull from the mid-90s that I used extensively on a Nikon F4 and now on my D300. Is the IQ as good on that lens as on the newer 80-200s?

2. Supposedly it is marginally less but I have heard the opposite more than once. The two ringer w/ collar is supposedly the best of the bunch.

3. My big issue with the push/pull version was the AF speed. I found it noticeably slower than the 2-ring version - even on my pro D1 and D2-series bodies, which tend to make up for slower focusing AF lens. If shooting any type of action where you would benefit from a faster focusing lens, I'd pass on the push/pull version. Image quality wise, I don't remember it being significantly different than my 2-ring version, however I didn't keep the push/pull version that long.

4. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    I can speak that, at least with the two that I compared, the push-pull was definitely sharper and higher contrast than the two-ring w/collar version. I'd owned the push-pull version for awhile, but found a good deal on the two ring version here in the Cafe. After taking some pix and running some tests, I sold the two-ring and stuck with my older lens. Obviously, YMMV.