Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 G or 50mm f/1.8 g or 50mm f/14 g

I have a Nikon D5500 Dx camera, I would like to get some very sharp and clear portrait pictures.which among the following give me the best result I am also looking for the budget price.
1.Nikor 85 mm F/1.8 g
2.Nikor 50mm F/1.8 g
3.Nikor 50mmF/1.4g
I still can't distinguish 50mm F/1.8 g and F/1.4 g, which would be the best for me could
you please guide me from your experience?

What kind of portraits? Head and shoulders? full body?
Are you planning to shoot indoors? If so how much room do you have?
If you have a zoom lens that covers both 50 and 85 mm. see which length suits what you want to do.

Last edited:
All of the lenses on your list are sharp. I use the 1.8 primes and could not be more happy for my style of portraiture.

What kind of portraits? Head and shoulders? full body?
Are you planning to shoot indoors? If so how much room do you have?
If you have a zoom lens that covers both 50 and 85 mm. see which length suits what you want to do.
for both, full body and shoulders,i am looking for very sharp pictures

Real Name
Ken
The 85 has a great reputation, especially in its latest version. But, it might be a bit long on a crop body camera, giving you a 127mm FOV in FF. The 50 might be easier if you are in tight quarters, and it is usually the most affordable of the bunch, but typically it does not garner the love that the 85 does from folks. I am not really sure what the 50 f/1.4 will offer you other than the extra 2/3rd's stop, and I do believe that lens needs to be stopped down a bit to be sharp. If you have the room, I would vote for the 85. Alternately, you could find a 60mm macro. That would give you a 90mm FOV in FF and the lens is quite sharp. That would be my preference for a DX sensor.

Good luck,

--Ken

The 85 has a great reputation, especially in its latest version. But, it might be a bit long on a crop body camera, giving you a 127mm FOV in FF. The 50 might be easier if you are in tight quarters, and it is usually the most affordable of the bunch, but typically it does not garner the love that the 85 does from folks. I am not really sure what the 50 f/1.4 will offer you other than the extra 2/3rd's stop, and I do believe that lens needs to be stopped down a bit to be sharp. If you have the room, I would vote for the 85. Alternately, you could find a 60mm macro. That would give you a 90mm FOV in FF and the lens is quite sharp. That would be my preference for a DX sensor.

Good luck,

--Ken
Thank you

I have an 85 1.4 Sigma (cheap now since the new one came out), it is fantastic for all sorts of protraits. Sometimes I crop only the center using it at 30x20 ,which corresponds to 105.
It is a not so expensive alternative, paid about 500 USD myself for a near new one.

50mm is sometimes a bit close, in my opinion. I love my 55 1.2 but hardly use it for classic portraits.

I have an 85 1.4 Sigma (cheap now since the new one came out), it is fantastic for all sorts of protraits. Sometimes I crop only the center using it at 30x20 ,which corresponds to 105.
It is a not so expensive alternative, paid about 500 USD myself for a near new one.

50mm is sometimes a bit close, in my opinion. I love my 55 1.2 but hardly use it for classic portraits.
Thank you so much..helpful

The 50mm f/1.4 has pretty dreadful longitudinal CA when used below f/4 although, fortunately, ACR can clean-up the CA quite effectively.
I very seldom use my 50mm however and make more use of high ISO with slower lenses instead.
I have never owned the 50mm f/1.8 so can't comment on it.

The 50mm f/1.4 has pretty dreadful longitudinal CA when used below f/4 although, fortunately, ACR can clean-up the CA quite effectively.
I very seldom use my 50mm however and make more use of high ISO with slower lenses instead.
I have never owned the 50mm f/1.8 so can't comment on it.
Thank you so much

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom