Nikkor AF 24mm f/2.8D- How do you like yours?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AFS, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I just received mine an hour and a half ago. I'm already very pleased. The sharpness and focus, build and heft are all simply phenomenal. I'm also pleased with close focus and bokeh in current conditions. The f/2.8 aperture is great and the focal length just seems to work perfectly in my style. I've already captured a few images of my cat that are adorable.
    This replaces in part my 18-70 DX. I found the aperture, focus reliability, and sweet spot to be unsuitable for me. I'm also getting a 45/2.8P and possibly a 50/1.8.
    How do you like yours if you have one?
    Harrison
    Proud owner: Nikon D70, 18-70 DX (not for long), 70-200 f/2.8 VR, 24mm f/2.8D AF

2. Hi Harrison,

I found mine better at 24mm then either the 18-70 or my first 12-24DX. I returned the 12-24 and got a replacement, which is now better than the 24mm, but only just.

It is such a small and light lens that there is no real excuse for not carrying it.

3. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    I love mine as well...just don't use it as much as I should.

Guess I have just assigned myself a shooting session!

;)

C

4. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    The 24 is lovely, sharp, tone, color etc, and small and light. You will also enjoy the 45 for many of the same qualities, especially the boke. The 50/1.8 is another very sharp, but not quite in the class of the other two for general "creaminess", it's boke is a little blah. IMHO.

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have no complaints about my 24/2.8. The 45P is a funny little lens that may become my favorite landscape lens. I find the 50/1.8 better when stopped down, while the 50/1.4 is better from f4 to wide open.

This was shot with the 24mm at f22.

[​IMG]

6. KJD2121

KJD2121 Guest

I was using my 24mm as my wide landscape lens on my F100 and loved it. On my D2H I would like to have the same wide angle which is in the 17mm range.. The 24mm is a very nice lens.

I just sent my 50 1.8 back to Nikon for having oil on the aperature blades. I haven't heard from them yet and am hoping they will cover this under warranty. The lens is 6 months out of warranty.

7. NikonK

NikonK

May 27, 2005
    I would say a Prime is usually outperform a Zoom.

The 24mm will become 36mm in my D70 and just not wide enough for me. But nevermind, I'll get this lens in near future. 36mm remind me those old days shooting P&S 35mm film camera.