1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikkor AF-S 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 on FX vs AF-S 17-55 f/2.8 on DX

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by GSloan, Jul 5, 2008.

1. GSloan

GSloan

Jul 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    And now for my first post here...

Does anyone have any experience with the Nikon 24-85mm AF-S on a D3 vs a 17-55mm f/2.8 D300? Other than the persistent f-stop range, I'm curious to see if full-frame offers comparable quality with this cheaper lens vs a DX frame with a higher quality one.

Does anyone have any experience with both on their respective formats? Not looking for a 24-85 vs 17-55 on DX only. One lens on FX, the other on DX. All things being equal, f/2.8 itself isn't all that important to me.

Photozone.de gave them both the same rating on optical quality, but this was solely on DX:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/46-...5mm-f35-45g-if-ed-review--test-report?start=1 - 24-85 f/3.5-4.5

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/46-...-s-17-55mm-f28-g-if-ed-dx-review--test-report - 17-55 f/2.8

Thanks! :D 

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2008
  2. I have the 24-85mm but only use it on a D80. I can't say how it performs on a FX, but on my DX it rocks! :D 

3. GSloan

GSloan

Jul 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, I've seen DX reviews...but I'm really curious to see how a cheaper lens on FX does against a more expensive lens on DX.

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    FX is less demanding of lens sharpness due to lower pixel density, so the 24-85 will probably do better. the 24-85 is actually the faster lens if you calculate how much light it puts onto the FX sensor.

5. GSloan

GSloan

Jul 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That's what I was figuring, but I was curious if anyone had any real-world experience. Looking at specs and what something should do often differs from what the end result looks like.

Thanks!
    Geoff

6. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    in the real world none of this matters because sample variation would make a bigger difference. half of the brand new lenses i buy have some decentering or some focus issue.

7. GSloan

GSloan

Jul 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Gotcha. So suffice it to say, you think that they'd be about on-par, with a slight nod to the 24-85?

Thanks again.

8. Gnarl

Gnarl

Jun 25, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    I think you have to look at the MTF across the entire imaging circle covered by the sensor. Lenses lacking edge sharpness usually perform worse on full-frame sensors rather than crop sensors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.