Nikkor AF-S 70 - 200 ED VR lens focus question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by jlmoon, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hello,

Has anybody noticed a slight image shift when using MF mode. What I am talking about is when your in Manual Focus and you 1/2 depress the shutter button on D3, (as if your focusing AF) you can see a slight shift in the image when looking through the view finder. You can hear the focus drive motor still activate as this occurs. If not your not careful, this action can make you think your not in focus anymore. I have noticed this with my copy of this lens and just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Could the AF/MF drive mechanics or motor (Silent Wave stuff) be either dragging a bit or could there be some loose optics. Note: this appears to only be when using the lens in manual focus.

Thanks,

Jon

2. Yes , Turn the VR off and it stops. I just tried it after you post. Its the VR kicking in.

3. jlmoon

jlmoon

May 13, 2008
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hey David,

I am going to try that myself. I was wondering if I needed to send my lense back to Nikon for repair. I first noticed this the other night (around dusk) when I was trying to capture some owls that have been landing in some trees on my property. Thanks so much for the great tip!

Jon

4. Jon
    I don't shoot much with the VR on because of the type shooting I (sports with a lot of burst). Reading a post here on the cafe that when you fire off a burst, the VR dose not have time to set. Good shooting!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.