Nikkor AIS 50/1.2

Hi,
I thought to share this information, just in case someone is interested.

I tried to purchase a Nikkor 50/1.2 from two cafe members but they didn't want to go through the hassles of international shipping or didn't reply to my inquires. It's okay, international shipping is pain.

Next I turned to B&H and Adorama, both backordered. KEH didn't have any either and looks like the AIS primes have gotten maybe 30-50% more expensive during the last year. D3 has anything to do with it?

Anyway, I could not find any used or new in the US or Europe with respectable sellers. What then? I turned to Japan since the things are manufactured there, right? The biggest camera store in Tokyo (not a shady back alley hot dog booth) Yodobashi has them in stock at 41,600 yen with 10% instant rebate.

I thought what the heck and ordered one.

The lens came in 3 days airmail with total cost of $384 (USD). Yes. 115 dollars cheaper than Adorama list price (and shipping would be extra) and 300 dollars less than used ones on oboy (ditto for shipping). New in box.

The store seems to have the little AIS 35/1.4 in stock too, with a list price of 400 dollars less than used ones on oboy as well some other hard to get Nikkor lenses.

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/13369.html

I blame Paul L. for seducing me into manual focus lenses. I think this disease has no cure? :cool:

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
Now that is interesting.. BTW how do you read it? :wink:

Do they have a ny new Nocts around as well? :biggrin:

Hi,
I thought to share this information, just in case someone is interested.

I tried to purchase a Nikkor 50/1.2 from two cafe members but they didn't want to go through the hassles of international shipping or didn't reply to my inquires. It's okay, international shipping is pain.

Next I turned to B&H and Adorama, both backordered. KEH didn't have any either and looks like the AIS primes have gotten maybe 30-50% more expensive during the last year. D3 has anything to do with it?

Anyway, I could not find any used or new in the US or Europe with respectable sellers. What then? I turned to Japan since the things are manufactured there, right? The biggest camera store in Tokyo (not a shady back alley hot dog booth) Yodobashi has them in stock at 41,600 yen with 10% instant rebate.

I thought what the heck and ordered one.

The lens came in 3 days airmail with total cost of $384 (USD). Yes. 115 dollars cheaper than Adorama list price (and shipping would be extra) and 300 dollars less than used ones on oboy (ditto for shipping). New in box.

The store seems to have the little AIS 35/1.4 in stock too, with a list price of 400 dollars less than used ones on oboy as well some other hard to get Nikkor lenses.

http://www.yodobashi.com/enjoy/more/i/13369.html

I blame Paul L. for seducing me into manual focus lenses. I think this disease has no cure? :cool:

No Noct as far as I can see. They don't sell used ones, at least not on the net, but seem to have almost all current AIS models in stock.

Read? You just have to ask the right persons for some translations, Andréas-san. :wink:

Now you tell me. After I just paid $460 for mine!!! Glad to see the 35mm f/1.4 AIS costs 70% more. Which is in the ballpark of what I just paid for mine, as well.

Oh well. I think the duties would be too much, especially in Italy.

Anyone in the U.S. have experience ordering things from Japan? Are duties levied?

k

MAP camera has used & new gear. Very reputable store. I have not bought from them but have a look:-

http://www.mapcamera.com/sho/search.php?reset=1&maker_id=Nikon&genre_id=4&MODE=M_VIEW&ACT=A_THUM

Try http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt for translations.

Also looak at http://stores.ebay.com/Matsuiyastore_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

Noriaki from Matsuiyastore is extremely reliable. Somehow he manages to get the lenses to you without any taxes!!! A bit expensive but superb service!!!

any americans try getting from matsuiya or other orders from abroad? curious to know about duty. in italy they charge duty on packages with declared value of $0, go figure if it's worth anything... lots of shops won't ship to Italy...

any americans try getting from matsuiya or other orders from abroad? curious to know about duty. in italy they charge duty on packages with declared value of $0, go figure if it's worth anything... lots of shops won't ship to Italy...

Kristina, Matsuiya store declares the value to be ~20-30USD so unlikely to be taxed!!!! He send them via EMS so secure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is an excellent thread, and just in time .. as I'm looking to do a major overhaul of my gear :smile:

Thank you all .. this is very very helpful.

i see... so matsuiya store and banks on the fact that the EMS package won't get lost and there will be no claims to recover... i guess if that works for him, then it's ok. i think i will just go to japan and buy straight from the source, and see japan while i'm there!!!

i see... so matsuiya store and banks on the fact that the EMS package won't get lost and there will be no claims to recover... i guess if that works for him, then it's ok. i think i will just go to japan and buy straight from the source, and see japan while i'm there!!!

Great idea!!! I have been to Japan few times, very beautiful. Also expensive. Camera equipment seem to be cheaper in HK in comparison to Japan.

Latest threads

Top Bottom