Nikkor Warranty on Manual Lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Conrad Monroe, Oct 25, 2005.

1. I just ordered a PC-85 f/2.8 T&S lens from KEH. I normally buy my lenses from B&H but they are closed this week and KEH had one in stock at a decent price.
    During my research I found that B&H website states that this lens comes with a 5 yr warranty just like all the other Nikkors that I have bought. The KEH website lists it at only 1 yr. When I called to place the order at KEH I asked them why the difference. The salesman checked with his supervisor and told me that since this is a manual lens, it only comes with a 1 yr warranty like all manual lenses.
    I had always been under the assumption that all Nikkors came with a 1 yr warranty that could be extended to 5 yrs when you registered it.
    Being somewhat between a rock and a hard place, I went ahead and ordered the lens from KEH with the hope that I might find the paper work for the extended warranty in the box with the registration.
    Anyone here by a manual lens recently that did not come with a 5 yr warranty? :confused: 

2. Conrad,

Sounds to me like the KEH lens is a grey import, and you have just been fed a load of bull.

Why on earth would a manual lens have less of a warranty than a potentially more complicated autofocus lens?

I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

3. Steve,
    I think you are 100% correct. You have stated quite well my concern when I was told this.
    I did in fact pointedly ask the salesman if this was a gray market lens or not and he reiterated that it was a US model.
    I guess it will all be clear on Friday...

4. US model does not mean it's not GREY market, trust me. I bought two lenses from B&H, bought grey market because I'm up in Canada anyway, and they both are US lenses (printed right on the lens!). Sounds like a nice package of BS the guy shovelled out - if you think about it, a manual lens should have a LONGER warranty because less can go wrong!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.