Nikon’s mirrorless camera rumored to have a new mount

I've been thoroughly enjoying my m4/3 from Olympus, and the 12-40 Pro is a wickedly wonderful wide lens IMHO. But...I do hope that Nikon hit's a home run with a new mirrorless camera. I had wanted to stick with Nikon (I like the ergonomics and the quality of my D300, which I still have and use) but moved on without total regret. I could be convinced to come home...

Last edited:
Sony, Here I come!!

Why not stick with Nikon? Nikon has better know-how and manufacturing capabilities to mass produce more types of lenses over Sony. I have no doubt Nikon will catch up quickly. Also third party manufacturers can most likely port their lenses to the new mount similar to how they've done native lenses for Sony.

Why not stick with Nikon?

Was just stirring the pot but then, there a grain of truth is there.

Basically, if I am going to be buying into a new lens mount and start fiddling with adapters, all non F mounts become viable candidates for consideration.

I suppose Nikon factored this type of reaction into the decision making and decided the pros outweigh the cons.

I think Nikon had a difficult choice in the lens mount decision for its new mirrorless bodies. I cannot imagine that they would not permit the use of existing F-Mount lenses, but putting an F-Mount in the new mirrorless body creates two problems.

If the camera register distance is suitable for F-Mount lenses the mirrorless body will be as big as a DSLR. That eliminates customers who are looking for a smaller body to complement their current DSLR.

If the register distance is shorter, F-Mount lenses will mount but be unable to create an in-focus image on the sensor. I can imagine the internet reports by purchasers who complain that their lenses all work fine on their other bodies, but only produce blurry images on Nikon's new mirrorless body.

So a new mount is necessary if Nikon is to produce a competitive product. I expect the F-Mount adapter for it will be more capable than the one for the Nikon 1 series cameras, which supported autofocus and VR on AF-S F-Mount lenses. It remains to be seen if it will support autofocus with AF-D (screwdriver) lenses, but that is certainly feasible since some teleconverters have that capability.

So I expect to see a new Nikon mirrorless body that works as well with my F-Mount AF-S lenses as my current DSLRs. This gives me an EVF body for those situations where an EVF is the better choice without having to buy into a different system.

Real Name
Andrew
I think Nikon had a difficult choice in the lens mount decision for its new mirrorless bodies. I cannot imagine that they would not permit the use of existing F-Mount lenses, but putting an F-Mount in the new mirrorless body creates two problems.

If the camera register distance is suitable for F-Mount lenses the mirrorless body will be as big as a DSLR. That eliminates customers who are looking for a smaller body to complement their current DSLR.

If the register distance is shorter, F-Mount lenses will mount but be unable to create an in-focus image on the sensor. I can imagine the internet reports by purchasers who complain that their lenses all work fine on their other bodies, but only produce blurry images on Nikon's new mirrorless body.

So a new mount is necessary if Nikon is to produce a competitive product. I expect the F-Mount adapter for it will be more capable than the one for the Nikon 1 series cameras, which supported autofocus and VR on AF-S F-Mount lenses. It remains to be seen if it will support autofocus with AF-D (screwdriver) lenses, but that is certainly feasible since some teleconverters have that capability.

So I expect to see a new Nikon mirrorless body that works as well with my F-Mount AF-S lenses as my current DSLRs. This gives me an EVF body for those situations where an EVF is the better choice without having to buy into a different system.

Honestly, though....I speak a lot about diminishing returns on the size of camera bodies. There is a lot of speak about smaller sizes...but depending on your physical make up, a camera the size of the Pentax Q is out of the question for many. I find for me, personally, that the Olympus EM5 size body is about as small as I want to go with a smaller body, especially if you have a lens of any substance to it.

I know many that would be happy with a DSLR camera, the size of a Df or D750, with the EVF. If they can keep at least a D750 AF performance that is great...but being able to have D5/D500 AF performance is very much preferred.

Perhaps I value the handling of the camera more than others do, who perhaps put more value in size. To each their own.

So could one make an analogy between a mirrorless camera vs a DSLR and a computer controlled fuel injection system vs a carburetor?

Has DSLR technology reached its limits compared to mirrorless, where mechanical shutters have been developed for quite some time, but mirrorless shutter technology is in its infancy.

I have the tendency to prefer native lenses and the idea of sticking my older Nikon F-mount lenses on an adapter and on the new Nikon mirrorless body is not exactly thrilling to me. Since it is unlikely that in the beginning Nikon will have a lot of new mirrorless lenses to offer, though, this certainly is one way of at least being able to use the camera with one's existing collection of lenses.

So could one make an analogy between a mirrorless camera vs a DSLR and a computer controlled fuel injection system vs a carburetor?

I think that analogy does not fit. I cannot think of an instance where I would want the performance of a carburetor rather than that of fuel injection. I can think of instances where I would prefer an optical viewfinder over an electronic one.

Today the conventional wisdom seems to be that new replaces old in its entirety. In terms of camera viewfinder technology I believe every method of viewing the subject, composing the shot and achieving focus ever invented can still be found in current production bodies. So mirrorless does not make DSLRs obsolete, but will replace them for applications where the EVF is more useful than the OVF.

I am not surprised at the new lens mount. I have heard that Nikon had deliberately kept the F-mount for backwards compatibility. Also that maintaining the F-Mount prevented them from introducing new technology to the system. As to whether or not I would be willing to be an early adopter of the Nikon Mirrorless, I would have to pass. I am interested in a system that has been out a few years. I do have one in mind but I will need to sell one of the cars to buy it. Fortunately my son has just left for a 2 year teaching assignment in Chuuk Micronesia. So he wont be needing his car :woot:

Latest threads

Top Bottom