Nikon’s mirrorless camera rumored to have a new mount

Personally I don't want a "system" mirrorless from Nikon, my interest is something along the lines of a Leica Q fixed lens pocket camera.

Real Name
Andrew
Personally I don't want a "system" mirrorless from Nikon, my interest is something along the lines of a Leica Q fixed lens pocket camera.
Unfortunately, Nikon seems to have no interest in that anymore. They gave us a Coolpix A, then teased us with the DL series. I knew a lot of photographers that were excited for those. They were abandonded...so now we have Canikon going the "our mirrorless has to be full frame" mantra.

Unfortunately, Nikon seems to have no interest in that anymore. They gave us a Coolpix A, then teased us with the DL series. I knew a lot of photographers that were excited for those. They were abandonded...so now we have Canikon going the "our mirrorless has to be full frame" mantra.
FF is the only thing that would interest me, just like the Q ... hopefully at 1/2 price

I think the point gryphon1911 is making is that Nikon currently has NO viable mirrorless system and this makes pricing tricky. They have to make money but they will also need to "buy" marketshare. Having dragged their feet for so long, they enter a mature market. Mature markets are tough to break into.

A $3k D850 can make sense because 1) it is marketed (mostly) to existing Nikon DSLR users 2) Nikon already has a good reputation and mindshare in the DSLR market. A $3k mirrorless camera would appeal (mostly) to the same demographic. And it would be a tough sell even there, IMO. It might prove an impossible task outside the committed-Nikon customer base.
Well, just look at what canon has done with mirrorless. Are you are asking Nikon to do the same? It doesn’t work. Sony, Fuji and m4/3 has been dominating the mirrorless market in the us. Release an original A7 type of camera with a kit lens? That would be a bad move. The product has to be better than anything else out there and the price will reflect that. Once you set the price, that is it.

You price a product on what the market will bear. Profit comes either through low volume and large markup or through large volume with a low markup. Nikon needs to get any new system onto as many hands as possible. They already lost a ton of people to m43/Fuji/Sony.

The price needs to be not only competitive, but compelling to get adoption. Both Nikon and Canon waited too long to put out something mediocre and they cannot expect the market to pay a premium for something new. The market already had a well vetted mirrorless market with proven performers.

Had Nikon/Canon even an APS-C system with entry level performance out 3-4 years ago... This would be a while different conversation right now.

Camera bodies are the disposable commodities. They can make less on the camera and more on the lenses. Get the system in peoples hands and get them buying every other version like they used to. All I know is that the way that Canikon is doing it now isn't working...what m43/Fuji/Sony is doing is getting the buzz and attracting the most new adopters as well as pulling a lot of long time legacy users over to mirrorless. Most once gone, will not return.
Sony is not giving away their cameras to get those customers to buy Sony lenses. Neither will Nikon.

I think Nikon has the expertise to build a price-friendly mirrorless camera. Even without having the ability to fab their own sensors like Sony and Canon, they're able to manufacturer cameras and price them competitively. I think Nikon was touting how the Nikon 1 cameras had relatively few parts.

Honestly I'm really excited to see what they come up with!

Well, just look at what canon has done with mirrorless. Are you are asking Nikon to do the same? It doesn’t work. Sony, Fuji and m4/3 has been dominating the mirrorless market in the us. Release an original A7 type of camera with a kit lens? That would be a bad move. The product has to be better than anything else out there and the price will reflect that. Once you set the price, that is it.
I think you are still missing my point. Nikon will do what their marketing folks decide.

My opinion is that they are very late to the the party. This means they face the latecomer-to-the-market dilemma: how do you get folks to buy YOUR stuff? The hurdle is larger than just making a good mirrorless camera that has enough class-leading or unique capabilities to get attention in a crowded market.

A camera is just one part of an image capturing and sharing ecosystem. Most of the potential customers for a Nikon mirrorless camera, as imagined in this thread, already have camera gear. Folks with the money to purchase a $3k camera likely already have a lot invested in at least one other ecosystem (cameras and lenses being the most expensive part of their investment).

As noted in a few of the replies here, use of the F-mount is probably out for technical reasons. That leaves adapted F-mount (and potentially others) and presumably a stable of new lenses native to the new mount system.

The primary motivation of most who have dabbled with or have adopted mirrorless systems is the desire for a lighter kit with the hope of still getting good IQ and performance. It will likely require the use of the new native lenses to get these competing qualities leaving adapted lenses as a way to fill gaps in the new lens lineup until filled or to get focal length/performance unmet by the native lenses. This has been the dynamic in m4/3.

Adopting a new camera ecosystem is an expensive proposition. The challenge is convincing potential customers that it is worth it.

So, to reiterate my actual point: I am deeply skeptical that Nikon can be successful breaking into the already mature mirrorless niche. If they try, they will be challenged by getting the balance of price-performance right. This makes the price points for the gear critical. I don't know what those price points need to be. But, if indeed their new camera offering comes in at a D850 price, market success may die before the technology has a chance to prove itself.

Real Name
Andrew
Sony is not giving away their cameras to get those customers to buy Sony lenses. Neither will Nikon.
No, again, my point is that they(Sony) don't have to now because they are established in the market and have been for years with entry-level, intermediate and high end cameras. They got in the mirrorless when it was still new with a compelling product.

Canikon are behind the 8 ball and will need to be serious on how they get people to stay with them and not go with an already established mirrorless company.

Last edited:
Real Name
Woody Green
Fast, accurate autofocus; a sharp EVF with no lag; 10 fps or faster; and a well constructed and weather sealed body. That's what it's going to take for me to take the plunge. Well, that and a price I can afford. :)

As far as I know, there have been no official announcements and patents are made all the time to protect intellectual property and ideas that may or may not ever become a product.
You are absolutely right with that. However I assume that we are close to a point where Nikon needs to patent there ideas if they plan to release within the given timeframe. Since these lenses seem to be what a lot of the community is wishing for, I'm just going to assume that they are somewhat likely to be produced.

Fast, accurate autofocus; a sharp EVF with no lag; 10 fps or faster; and a well constructed and weather sealed body. That's what it's going to take for me to take the plunge. Well, that and a price I can afford. :)
Most of that was allready managed within the Nikon 1 system, so I assume they will be able to do so with a larger system as well. Maybe except for the last point ;)

Real Name
Andrew
Nikon's upcoming mirrorless camera is rumored to have two electric AF motors | Nikon Rumors

The rumor is that the upcoming Nikon mirrorless will have two motors?

I'm wondering if it means it will have an in-built motor in the camera to focus drive AF-D lenses or some sort of adapter that will auto focus MF lenses like the Techart Pro adapter? Maybe it's some new tech to allow lightening fast and precise focus?
That was kind of hard to interpret. I almost took it to mean that the new mirrorless lenses would have 2 motors?? Heck, I don't know. Your explanation makes a whole lot more sense to me though.

That was kind of hard to interpret. I almost took it to mean that the new mirrorless lenses would have 2 motors?? Heck, I don't know. Your explanation makes a whole lot more sense to me though.
Nikon likes keeping backwards compatibility and the prosumer and flagship cameras all have the in-camera motor to drive AF lenses with no built-in motors (AF, AF-D lenses). Though it'd be cool if they did do something similar to the Techart Pro adapter which allows movement of the flange distance to auto focus non-AF lenses.

Nikon already created similar tech with the auto focusing TC-16a teleconverter: Nikon TC-16a Review

Sony really messed up on creating an undersized mount. In comparison M43 and Fuji have much wider mounts (in comparison to the sensor) which I think allowed them to create smaller lenses. Most Sony lenses extend out from the barrel tossing out any size advantage they could of leveraged going mirrorless. I think if Nikon's mount is bigger, that will be a good thing.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening, my smartphone "recommended" a german article to me that stated, that the current rumour is, that an upcoming Nikon mirrorless camera would be outfitted witch 2 linear motors. 2 optical groups in the lens could be moved independedently, one to quickly acquire focus roughly and one for fine focusing.
Advantages were named to be higher focus speed and accuracy, especially when focusing very close to the camera. A patent has been made all ready.

Something that I would really like to know but I lack knowledge in the area is:
How will a switch to DSLM affect other equipment? For example flashes: Can iTTL work on a DSLM or is there the need for a new protocol? Will there be a redesign of the hotshoe (think of Nikon1)?

Real Name
Andrew
Hopefully Nikon learned from the mistake of the 1 series and will not make a new proprietary hotshoe. TTL protocols are mainly software based, so getting them to communicate should not be an issue.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom