Nikon’s mirrorless camera rumored to have a new mount

Something like this top view would excite me...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

To hell with a new mount!

Hopefully Nikon learned from the mistake of the 1 series and will not make a new proprietary hotshoe. TTL protocols are mainly software based, so getting them to communicate should not be an issue.
If Godox can get their flashes to work across various platforms, Nikon can surely get their flashes working with their own cameras. ;)

Something like this top view would excite me...

View attachment 1596202

To hell with a new mount!
I could go either way. A new mount would allow new possibilities with bigger/smaller sensors, with a universal mount that can be used from APS-C to medium format sized sensors, plus the ability to use a variety of lenses. If Nikon did keep the F mount, I'd prefer to not see a big stump coming out of the camera, and would hope for a more elegant design. :D

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Mmmmmmh...

I believe it's about time Nikon engage a designer like Giorgio Giugiario for the F4...

Regards
Klaus

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I find it surprising that both will be full frame and the lowest priced one will be near $3,000. I think they need a DX mirrorless priced well under $2k.
If I recall correctly from the article, this price would be a kit that includes a 24-70 lens (no specs on the lens). I agree, still pricey. If you look at the current FL lenses, Nikon charges a high premium for high end products. Let’s hope these mirrorless price rumors hint that these cameras will be super impressive. They have to be to compete with Sony, otherwise what is the point.

Real Name
Andrew
I've seen rumor sites in the past be way off on the pricing. I don't hold much stick in it. If Nikon can give us DSLR or near DSLR imaging and focusing performance in a mirrorless offering, I think that will appeal to a lot of people, even if the price is a bit higher. I also believe that the prices may be including a native mount kit lens as well as an f- mount adapter for using legacy lenses.

I don't know why, but for some reason, in my gut I think that Nikon is going to really hit a home run with this next generation. If not, I'll be the first one to about I was wrong.

Also I notice that there is no mention in the article about whether or not Nikon will provide an adapter for customers who want to use their F-mount lenses.
I think Nikon's mirrorless offerings are doomed to failure if they don't offer such an adapter. There is an adapter for using Nikon lenses on Sony cameras!

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I'm a 100% certain they will provide an adapter, anything else would be suicide.... Canon does and so will Nikon. The Sony system has many adapter options and can even AF with some of them.

As a comment on possibility of a new lens mount. I have been using my Canon M5 and one of the best things is the new much shorter and smaller lenses with the new EF-M mount. I came into this little camera with the though that I would use the adapter often with my regular canon lenses but I almost never do, they make the system big and clumsy and not better in any way. The new short small lenses makes the camera so much more nimble and light, I for one am glad if Nikon comes out with smaller shorter lenses for a new MODERN lens mount. As long as there is an adapter all will be fine. A killer 24-70, 35mm, 50mm and then 24 and 85, 16-35 and 70-200 for the new mount and most would be covered..

Last edited:
Exactly, Jim! Several manufacturers make adapters for Nikon lenses to use on Sony's mirrorless full-frame and APS-C cameras.

Andreas, good point about new camera mounts and new native lenses being smaller and lighter, etc, making older, heavier and larger lenses feel a bit unwieldy and bulky when used with an adapter......

I don't know why, but for some reason, in my gut I think that Nikon is going to really hit a home run with this next generation. If not, I'll be the first one to about I was wrong.
Nikon knows how to comeback like a scrappy underdog. I remember before Nikon had a full frame DSLR camera and people were on the verge of jumping ship, the release of the Nikon D3 was a huge game changer. They basically ushered in the era of high ISO shooting. The trifecta of the 14-24mm, 24-70mm and 70-200mm VR II were also released and even Canon shooters were buying the 14-24mm because it was so good.

The difference between Nikon and Sony fundamentally comes down to glass. Even though I'm shooting Sony FF, I adapt my Nikon glass when possible and I can see a big difference in rendering. I have no doubt Nikon can ramp up lens production and release a competent lens collection.

You make the best of points Johnathan, it is a lot about the glass in front of this camera, and we all know that Nikon (and Canon) can make them, If it was easy Sony would have had a full stable of lenses by now
Sony does have a couple advantages though. Almost every Sony FF lens can properly focus track in video mode and do it silently. If people plan on doing video with the new Nikon MILC, this is where having native mirrorless lenses make the most sense. Also, while I do feel the sentiment of losing the F-mount for a new "Z" mount, I think it's in the best interest of Nikon and photographers to usher in something new. Lenses can possibly be made faster, sharper, smaller and just all-around better. Using the Nikon 1 lenses as an indicator, those lenses were small, contrasty and amazingly sharp. Now apply that to FX and we're looking at the awakening Nikon Godzilla!

My only wish though is that I hope Nikon does include some form of in-body stabilization. I think with high res cameras, this is almost a necessity nowadays for mirrorless.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I agree but I'm also guess it has a lot to do with the new stepper motors in the modern lenses, I can fee the difference in my Canon M5 when I mount on a non STM lens on the camera, very sluggish and hunting compared to the true EF-M lenses. The focusing accuracy is amazing, the keep rate is much higher.

My only wish though is that I hope Nikon does include some form of in-body stabilization. I think with high res cameras, this is almost a necessity nowadays for mirrorless.
From the list of specs in the linked NR article:

Two mirrorless cameras: one with 24-25MP and one with 45MP (48MP is also a possibility). I assume both cameras are full frame (I did not get a specific confirmation on that).

Similar body size to the Sony a7 camera but with better ergonomics and a better grip.

5-axis in-body stabilization

9fps

From the list of specs in the linked NR article:

Two mirrorless cameras: one with 24-25MP and one with 45MP (48MP is also a possibility). I assume both cameras are full frame (I did not get a specific confirmation on that).

Similar body size to the Sony a7 camera but with better ergonomics and a better grip.

5-axis in-body stabilization

9fps

In that case sign me up! :D I'll be an early adopter!

In-body stabilization is a huge feature, and if/when lens stabilization is added, that combination provides impressive handheld capabilities.

In-body stabilization is a huge feature, and if/when lens stabilization is added, that combination provides impressive handheld capabilities.
I'm also interested in how Nikon will handle the adapter situation. If it's rock solid, I can imagine a big uptick in sales of older glass. Why buy a 300mm f4 PF VR or 105mm 1.4 G when you can get a true Japan made, all metal 300mm f4 AF-S or 105mm f2 AF-D for cheap, but now with 5-axis stabilization! ;):D

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom