Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8

Hello everyone! I recently sold off my Nikon 16mm to pay for my new D300 (which is a great deal of fun). However, I'm a sports shooter and one of my favorite sports to shoot is snowboarding. So i was wondering if any of you guys have any experiences (good and bad) with this lens as I'm considering getting it in the future. I'm also open to the idea of Sigma and Tamron lenses of equivalent size (because I'm a college student and always looking to pinch pennies) photos would be a plus. Thanks!

G

Gary Mayo

Hello everyone! I recently sold off my Nikon 16mm to pay for my new D300 (which is a great deal of fun). However, I'm a sports shooter and one of my favorite sports to shoot is snowboarding. So i was wondering if any of you guys have any experiences (good and bad) with this lens as I'm considering getting it in the future. I'm also open to the idea of Sigma and Tamron lenses of equivalent size (because I'm a college student and always looking to pinch pennies) photos would be a plus. Thanks!

No expirence in the 10.5 following snowboards, sorry. But I dropped in to say hope you enjoy that new camera! The D300 rocks!

The lens itself is great - check some of the other threads on here for examples of shots taken with it.

However due to the wide angle of view you do need to be fairly close to the subject in order to get it to fill the frame (and not just be a dot on the landscape). I don't know how easy that would be to achieve with snowboarders - I guess you would need to set the camera up in the snow somewhere with remote triggers.

The 10.5 is an awesome lens, and also benefits from being DX. It's small sharp and contrasty. It's one of the lenses that makes me not want to go full FX.

N

NeilM

10.5 is a fantastic lens. For snowboarding I'd imagine it is pure gold.

Do not forget the tokina 10-17. it gives more playing room. It is a tad slower, however, for snowboarding shots I think you would be ok. Also, you might use your flash remotely.

The tokina is nice fore sure, I seriously considered it, but I'm getting the 10.5 myself after doing the research. I'm using it for in low light.

If you're going to be shooting in a rail park, you should be fine, but it's pretty darn wide so you've gotta be right up on them. I only shoot skateboarding and BMX with mine and it's pretty useless for anything except being directly underneath or next to the rider.

Latest threads

Top Bottom