Nikon 10.5mm fisheye or Tokina 11-16mm?

Keen on a fast UWA that I can shoot wide open.

Both 10.5mm fisheye and 11-16mm available to me 2nd hand at a reasonable price.
Both f2.8.
Both well regarded.

I'm leaning towards the 10.5mm because:

Its smaller & lighter.
Its wider.
I can de-fish if I want to.

What think you?

you got to find an 11-16 down here mate, i'll be interested to see where this thead goes as i have and 11-16 and am considering adding a 10.5 FE to the mix as well

i love my 10.5 and one of the best things about it is how sharp it is at 2.8 Its also so wide and DOF so deep that you can take near shots of scenes at 2.8 and it will be sharp across the shot, I find this handy.

Be careful making decision based on defishing. Yes image trend plugin works like magic but it won't work unless the camera is perfectly level. So it really limits composition. If you are shooting angled down into the grand canyon for example, it won't really fix much

i love my 10.5 and one of the best things about it is how sharp it is at 2.8 Its also so wide and DOF so deep that you can take near shots of scenes at 2.8 and it will be sharp across the shot, I find this handy.

Be careful making decision based on defishing. Yes image trend plugin works like magic but it won't work unless the camera is perfectly level. So it really limits composition. If you are shooting angled down into the grand canyon for example, it won't really fix much
Right, I probably wouldn't de fish that often and it would be in the scenario you spoke of. Thanks!

I have the best of both worlds cheap. The 11-16 and the Samyang 8mm fisheye. The Samyang has a more modern design than the Nikon. It gives better control of distortion in the corners. Great lens for pennies.

It's hard to say since they're so different but if you're primarily shooting landscapes then I guess the fisheye. De-fished portraits are tough. Here's a comparison shot I made awhile ago comparing the Tokina, Sigma 8-16mm, and the Nikon 10.5mm at their widest focal lengths and the 10.5 de-fished with both the Fisheye-Hemi plugin as well as DxO Optics Pro (which has a really cool "do not maintain aspect ratio" option). I also think that it does a great rectilinear de-fish without losing resolution at the edges.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ultra-Wide Angle Comparison by David Pinkerton, on Flickr

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom