Nikon 105 2.5 with D700

I just tested my 105 2.5 AIS using my new D700 and SB900 wide open, cc please. Thanks.
DSC_0080.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for your kindly comments, anyone else? I did not do any PP in this image, so if you have any comments how to apply PP to make it even nicer I appreciate it. Thanks.

S

scooptdoo

Thanks for your kindly comments, anyone else? I did not do any PP in this image, so if you have any comments how to apply PP to make it even nicer I appreciate it. Thanks.

maby a little sharping? maby not?

The shot is overall technically very good, as you know by yourself. I like the feeling of the shot quite much - for me it looks like the young lady would be pretty bored, perhaps watching TV.

The lighting looks also good to my untrained eyes.

However, I find the background quite distracting. This is (obviously?) a candid shot, and I understand you didn't have a choice for the background, but it still is IMHO distracting.

I also think that the composition could be better. Now there is some uninteresting empty space in the top, and there is no space for her to look into. In addition, I think the left arm, which nicely leads us to her beautiful face, could be better positioned crop-wise (closer to the corner might help).

One solution for the background would be to make the image b&w. I think it would work nicely with this shot.

Just my opinion, as always :smile: Thanks for sharing.

The shot is overall technically very good, as you know by yourself. I like the feeling of the shot quite much - for me it looks like the young lady would be pretty bored, perhaps watching TV.

The lighting looks also good to my untrained eyes.

However, I find the background quite distracting. This is (obviously?) a candid shot, and I understand you didn't have a choice for the background, but it still is IMHO distracting.

I also think that the composition could be better. Now there is some uninteresting empty space in the top, and there is no space for her to look into. In addition, I think the left arm, which nicely leads us to her beautiful face, could be better positioned crop-wise (closer to the corner might help).

One solution for the background would be to make the image b&w. I think it would work nicely with this shot.

Just my opinion, as always :smile: Thanks for sharing.

Jani, I really appreciate your opinion, I still learning how to take good photos, that's why I am looking for someone else suggestions, in that photo actually she was in the front of computer and I told her if I am doing some tests, that's why she looks bored :), do you guys think this lens is a good for portraits?

... do you guys think this lens is a good for portraits?

Very nice image. And yes, the lens is very very good for portraits, one of the best in Nikkor lineup.

I don't have that particular lens, but I have the two siblings, 105/1.8 and 105/2.8 Micro. Perhaps I should have a closer look at the f/2.5 too? :smile:

Very nice image. And yes, the lens is very very good for portraits, one of the best in Nikkor lineup.

I don't have that particular lens, but I have the two siblings, 105/1.8 and 105/2.8 Micro. Perhaps I should have a closer look at the f/2.5 too? :smile:

Peter, thanks for your comments, your version is much higher in price than the 2.5, hopefully I have more times to do more shoot with this lens. I saw you have quiet lots of expensive lens in your collections.

hah, how many lenses do you need at 105mm? :smile:

The Ai-S 105mm f/2.5 is an outstanding portrait lens, one of Nikon's all-time classics. I prefer it over the 85mm f/1.4 and have said so many times. The combined perspective / sharpness is second to none.
Personally I would stop it down a touch to, say, f4 or so. More so for larger DOF model shots.

I have recently got the f/1.8 version, which is as good but a bit faster (for those interested: my 105/2.5 is in the FS forum).

Latest threads

Top Bottom