Nikon 105 2.8D AF Micro Lens Question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by clm5948, Jul 8, 2007.

1. clm5948

clm5948

Oct 9, 2006
    East Texas
    I recently bought the above titled lens (the non VR version). It was described as a USA lens. I have several other lenses and I've always assumed that if it is a USA lens it will have US before the serial number (like my 12-24 lens does for example). This lens does not. It is out of warranty so that is not my concern. My concern of course is ever getting it serviced by Nikon USA. Am I right that they would refuse to service it? And if that is the case, then I feel the lens was misrepresented and I should ask for a refund? Comments please.
    Craig

2. 1FASTZ

1FASTZ

Jan 25, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm not sure how true it is, but I've heard that some of the older ones did not have the "US" prefix the serial numbers. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

3. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I too have heard that the older lenses did not have the US designation in the SN. I think Nikon will tell you whether or not your lens is a US one if you call them.

4. I'm not sure with this specific lens as I don't have one, but I've seen Nikon US lenses without US in the s/n. One of mine has only a small Nikon USA sticker... I'm sure it won't stay on too long, it's already faded. I think Cope is right, call the Nikon number, couldn't hurt.

5. I also have the older "D" version of this lens and it does not have US before the serial number.

6. clm5948

clm5948

Oct 9, 2006
    East Texas
    Thanks for the input

I called Nikon USA and they cannot identify whether my lens is an International or US model without my actually sending it to a service center. That is, they can't tell by the serial number.
    Nikon support did tell me that servicing on "most" nikon lenses is not an issue whether it is a USA or International model. He said "only in very rare circumstances" would they not make the repair (if needed) and would then return it unrepaired. He said "most" lenses have an international warranty. What the exceptions are he could not say (?).
    Craig

7. It's as clear as mud but it covers the ground huh?

8. LOL, well put, ready Thom Hogan's article on Nikon Warranty:
    http://bythom.com/warranty.htm

Knowing that most of us owners are pretty loyal fans of the company, they really should treat us better and help us out more.

I have a 105 F2.8 D and it doesn't say US in front of SN.

9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Craig

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I doubt you will have any problems with the lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    As in "everyone but you." :Crunk: