Nikon 105 VR or 105 DC on D3 Body?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by zapufast, Jul 9, 2008.

1. I want a lens for portraits and like the 105 focal length.

I am looking for nice bokeh and sharp stopped down.

If any one has advise before I buy one of these lens, please let me know.

Samples would also be great! :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

2. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
  3. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    go for the DC. it is sharp wide open at f/2 and the bokeh is gorgeous. it focuses quite close as it is.

4. godfather

godfather

Aug 10, 2005
    I love my 105 DC on my D3. Just an outstanding combination for portrait work.

5. I haven't tried the VR macro, but I love the 105DC on the D3.

I had the 105DC and an 85/1.4 when I got the D3 and used them both quite a bit for informal portraits before concluding that the 85 would see very little use and subsequently selling it.

Most I've talked with have found that the 105DC needs quite a bit of AF fine tune to get it right (mine's at +15), but I haven't heard from anyone who couldn't dial it in. I haven't used the DC much, as I usually shoot f2-f2.8, but when you want some more DOF and yet still get a nice background, try it at f4 with the DC set to 4R.

This was from a quick play session - f2.8, no DC effect, iso200, from NEF with minimum default Edge Sharpen in Aperture:
    [​IMG]

6. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    I had both...

but sold the 105VR. As sharp as it(105VR) was, the 105 f2 is really my favorite lens on the D3. It's the perfect FL and razor sharp(in a flattering way) right from f2.

Some people prefer the VR, but it's my most used lens.

7. +1 I'll take the extra stop any day of the week. :cool:

8. onemorelens

onemorelens

Jul 3, 2007
    california
    Wow your arguments for the 105DC is pretty compelling. I was planning on waiting to see what Nikon announces but I'm tempted to order one now.

9. I knew I would rely on the experts! :biggrin:

Thanks everyone for the great insight! Nice Samples!

105DC here I come.

10. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Hey Tim...

Not to muddle up your thoughts.... but have you thought of the 100 F2 Zeiss?? :biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Yes I have, but I am wanting something with AF.

I love the bokeh on the Zeiss.:eek:

12. I have both lenses and like them for different reasons. The micro-Nikkor I use mostly for macro shooting, although it does fine for portraits. The VRII is very helpful when not mounted on a tripod (VR no use on a tripod or for macro.). IMHO, the bokeh of the 105mm DC is superior to the 105mm VR. It also is a F2.0 lens while the VR lens is F2.8. In general, I like using the 105 mm DC lens better for portrait work. You mentioned "... sharp stopped down." I would guess both are good to about F11, although the DC lens likes the F2 to F5.6 range best when using the DC feature. I note that, IMO at least, nice bokeh is achieved better when these lenses are used more towards their maximum aperture (although DOF should be considered too). Bottom line is that I would go for the DC version.

Regards,

13. Thanks Barry. I don't do much macro work, so I think that the DC will suite me best.

14. mchung

mchung

Sep 17, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    An extra vote for the DC here. I have the DC, VR, and 85/1.4 and have run comparisons on the D3 and prefer the DC best. It is a truly exceptional portrait lens in all regards and is an excellent, sharp telephoto to boot.

Martin