Nikon 105 VR or 105 DC on D3 Body?

I want a lens for portraits and like the 105 focal length.

I am looking for nice bokeh and sharp stopped down.

If any one has advise before I buy one of these lens, please let me know.

Samples would also be great! :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

I love my 105 DC on my D3. Just an outstanding combination for portrait work.

I haven't tried the VR macro, but I love the 105DC on the D3.

I had the 105DC and an 85/1.4 when I got the D3 and used them both quite a bit for informal portraits before concluding that the 85 would see very little use and subsequently selling it.

Most I've talked with have found that the 105DC needs quite a bit of AF fine tune to get it right (mine's at +15), but I haven't heard from anyone who couldn't dial it in. I haven't used the DC much, as I usually shoot f2-f2.8, but when you want some more DOF and yet still get a nice background, try it at f4 with the DC set to 4R.

This was from a quick play session - f2.8, no DC effect, iso200, from NEF with minimum default Edge Sharpen in Aperture:
Glenda D3 105DC 2008-07-09.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I had both...

but sold the 105VR. As sharp as it(105VR) was, the 105 f2 is really my favorite lens on the D3. It's the perfect FL and razor sharp(in a flattering way) right from f2.

Some people prefer the VR, but it's my most used lens.

Wow your arguments for the 105DC is pretty compelling. I was planning on waiting to see what Nikon announces but I'm tempted to order one now.

Hey Tim...

Not to muddle up your thoughts.... but have you thought of the 100 F2 Zeiss?? :biggrin:

Zeiss1.jpg

Zeiss3.jpg

I want a lens for portraits and like the 105 focal length.

I am looking for nice bokeh and sharp stopped down.

If any one has advise before I buy one of these lens, please let me know.

Samples would also be great! :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

I have both lenses and like them for different reasons. The micro-Nikkor I use mostly for macro shooting, although it does fine for portraits. The VRII is very helpful when not mounted on a tripod (VR no use on a tripod or for macro.). IMHO, the bokeh of the 105mm DC is superior to the 105mm VR. It also is a F2.0 lens while the VR lens is F2.8. In general, I like using the 105 mm DC lens better for portrait work. You mentioned "... sharp stopped down." I would guess both are good to about F11, although the DC lens likes the F2 to F5.6 range best when using the DC feature. I note that, IMO at least, nice bokeh is achieved better when these lenses are used more towards their maximum aperture (although DOF should be considered too). Bottom line is that I would go for the DC version.

Regards,

I have both lenses and like them for different reasons. The micro-Nikkor I use mostly for macro shooting, although it does fine for portraits. The VRII is very helpful when not mounted on a tripod (VR no use on a tripod or for macro.). IMHO, the bokeh of the 105mm DC is superior to the 105mm VR. It also is a F2.0 lens while the VR lens is F2.8. In general, I like using the 105 mm DC lens better for portrait work. You mentioned "... sharp stopped down." I would guess both are good to about F11, although the DC lens likes the F2 to F5.6 range best when using the DC feature. I note that, IMO at least, nice bokeh is achieved better when these lenses are used more towards their maximum aperture (although DOF should be considered too). Bottom line is that I would go for the DC version.

Regards,

Thanks Barry. I don't do much macro work, so I think that the DC will suite me best.

An extra vote for the DC here. I have the DC, VR, and 85/1.4 and have run comparisons on the D3 and prefer the DC best. It is a truly exceptional portrait lens in all regards and is an excellent, sharp telephoto to boot.

Martin

Latest threads

Top Bottom