Nikon 105

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Irenejoy, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Can anyone give me some advice about ways to get the best out of this lens. I have just recently purchased it, I use a tripod and a remote. I am also told that it is better to stop down to F16. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Whatever you do, *don't* stop down too much. At f/16 you start losing detail. This lens performs best up to f/11, as is indeed the case with nearly all Micro-nikkors.

3. I agree with Bjorn, my 105 seems best at f5.6 to f11.

4. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    What kind of performance problems are you seeing?

If it is some vibration, perhaps you are running it too close to the "mirror vibration" zone (about 1/30-1 second). If you own a D70, you do not have the "mirror lock up" feature so you want to make sure your shutter speeds are faster or slower.

I presume your tripod is stable as well but you could look into that as well.

Also, I do agree with the others to avoid stopping down that far. Of course you might run into the nasty conundrum where you might need to stop down more to avoid the "mirror vibration" zone.

5. I agree about getting the best performance at f/5.6 to f/11, but be sure to try shooting at the samller apertures to get used to what DOF you need for different situations. It is often better to sacrifice some ultimate sharpness to get the whole subject in focus...

6. Thanks everyone. From what I can understand providing you have a steady tripod (manffrotto) remote, F stop between say 11 and sixteen, trial and error is the way to go. Usually with my kit lens and the 80x400 I rarely go above 8 or 10. But this is macro and I can see a different set of rules apply. Thanks very much.