Nikon 105mm f/2.0D AF DC-Nikkor ($1,079.00 @ Amazon)

What is everyone's thoughts on the defocus ring? Does it work as expected? It is my last lens for my collection (unless you kind folks here tell me it isn't worth it).

- Portrait lens with Nikon's exclusive Defocus Control
- Change the appearance of out of focus elements so that they appear softer or coarser
- Rear focusing for fast AF operation
- Fast, medium telephoto lens featuring Defocus-image Control
- Rounded diaphragm opening makes out-of-focus elements appear more natural

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005LEOK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking about the 85 as well.

I love it when people post that a search engine is your friend on message boards. I've seen that since running PCBoard on OS/2 WARP. I did search on here and that thread in particular is 100+ pages. Since I wasn't getting into the in/outs of it, more of is it worth it at that price...I did not read those 100+ pages.

Its worth the price if its worth it to you, for your use. The 100+ pages may help you make that decision. That's why there are lens specific threads. If you ask about one of the 85's, care to guess what someone will suggest?

Most of the better known lenses have their own thread. It's so people can see the capabilities of any given lens in the hands of other photographers. Don't read so much as start poking thru what images other photographers have accomplished with the lens. Personally speaking I start at the last page of those threads and start working backwards.

But I'll go back to what your original thread was for, so I have some questions. What are you wanting to do with this lens? Is portraits your main goal? Do you need any versatility in the lens? A bit of focus (pun intended) would be nice, because there are a lot of options depending on what you want to do and we just want to offer up advice that hopefully will make you most happy with an expensive purchase.

Thank you sir.

I think, for the most part, it would be formal poses. I like the idea of really being able to blur out the background and then of course the speed of it.

After reading up on the 85, I think I want it too now as well. :)

I just read the Farmington Hills from your location. I lived there and went to Longacre :) before moving over off 13 mile and Gratiot.

Personally speaking I like the 85 AF-s better. A little more versatile. My photo budget is seriously limited, so that factors into my mind. More expensive lens, yes, but holds it's value better because it has a wider audience in case I would have to sell it. The coatings are more modern and the lens is engineered post digital photography revolution so the angle of light is engineered to hit sensors more straight on. I have played with but don't own the Zeiss 100mm. That's a great portrait lens that doubles as a macro.

I think the DC is really appealing though because you can play with the aperture while at the same time still using the DC to blur backgrounds.

PS I'm down at 9 and Middlebelt. I live behind Bates Burgers.

Real Name
Chris
The 1.8 (which I used to own) is surely more affordable than either the 85 f/1.4 or the 105 f/2. However for the image, I'd recommend the 105 - I have one, and use it more than any other lens for people pics. It's unique, tack sharp, and renders a beautiful background.

85 1.4 for me, but the 1.8 is extrodinary especially for the price. I would use it for more than just straight portraits. I'd use it for video, indoor sports, and environmental pics. I'd need the faster and silent afs motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 85 1.8G also and second Andy - it amazing for the $$. I also have the Zeiss 2/100 which is even better, although its manual focus so it is a PITA with fast moving (kids) targets. I have long thought about the 105DC, but have not pulled the trigger yet. If I was going to buy just one for the $$ it would be the 85 1.8G.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
However for the image, I'd recommend the 105 - I have one, and use it more than any other lens for people pics. It's unique, tack sharp, and renders a beautiful background.
Just as Chris said, only I use the 135mm DC F2.0.

Hi Jason

I have a 105DC and have used those of a couple of friends. It's my favourite lens in my collection but it's not everyone's cup of tea. There is sample variation which, with a shallow depth of field, can manifest itself as variable focus. In addition, it's not necessarily an easy lens to use - I have recently bought a 70-200 which I find gets a higher hit rate, but I still prefer the 105. If I miss focus wide open, it tends to be my fault, either with poor technique or simply stabbing at AF and expecting it to work in all situations regardless.

This is interesting:
I like the idea of really being able to blur out the background and then of course the speed of it.
The DC ring allows for very subtle changes in the gradation to out of focus areas - don't expect it to change an 5.6, or even an 2.8 shot into an f2, for example. David Pinkerton posted some excellent studies and links on his site but I now can't find them - it would be worth contacting him if he doesn't see this and chip in. I did a more basic, hand held series of comparisons which are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nognar2/sets/72157617345797682/

I hope that helps.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom