Showcase Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AI

I am about to buy Nikon 105mm f/2.5 AI.

I wish to see your favourite pictures shot with this amazing lens..

Thanks in advance

-Paz

:):):):):):):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of my favorites taken with this awesome portrait (mainly, but certainly not exclusively) lens.
Note that these were shot with the Ai-S version, but that should not make any difference.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shots with the pre-ai one, shares the same formula as the ai and ais.
I liked it so much, I also got an AIS one on craiglist for $70 :)
I have not had a chance to shoot the AIS one yet.

All on the D40, sorry I can't recall the F/stops.

1: Wifey at her brothers wedding.

2. Seems cliche.

3.Flowers

4. The pup:

I was under the impression that the AI lens couldnt be used on digital and that they had to be converted to AIS or am I mistaken?

I was under the impression that the AI lens couldnt be used on digital and that they had to be converted to AIS or am I mistaken?
Its the non-AI that won't work with the DSLRs. AI or AIS will work on most, with the exception of a few models like the D40 that won't accept them.

Its the non-AI that won't work with the DSLRs. AI or AIS will work on most, with the exception of a few models like the D40 that won't accept them.
Quick clarification -- the AI and AI-S lenses won't meter on the consumer bodies like the D40, D40x, D60, D70, D80, and D90 -- but they will all mount fine. On bodies like the D200, D300, D700, D3, etc. they will meter in M and A modes.

The non-AI lenses will not mount on the D70, D80, D90, D200, D300, D700, D3, etc. without likely causing damage, and they won't meter.

However, most non-AI lenses actually do mount successfully on the D40, D40x, and D60. No metering, but no damage.

Exceptions include older lenses whose rear assembly extends into the mirror box.

Ah... Got it.

A side question, do the AI and AIS lens differ optically? Also from what I can gather used on a D200 in M mode I would not see a difference in performace per say, save for a possible sample issue?

Here are 3 from my old AI beater:

Verbal looks innocent (eyelashes are dead sharp), f/2.5

God beams over Windansea, f/5.6

Late-summer leaves in Bryant Park, NYC, f/2.5

P

Pianisimo

SOME non-AI lenses won't work on more expensive bodies. Not all of them - I use the 105 non-AI on my digitals all the time with no issues, you just have to make sure that the mount doesn't interfere with the screwdrive autofocus mechanism on the mount.

Here's one from today.

Ah... Got it.

A side question, do the AI and AIS lens differ optically? Also from what I can gather used on a D200 in M mode I would not see a difference in performace per say, save for a possible sample issue?
as far as i know, the AI and AIS are optically the same
The optical formula stayed of the same proven design. However, the Ai-S has different front coating (pink-purple like) from the Ai version (the older Nikon greenish appearance), which somewhat improved its performance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The optical formula stayed of the same proven design. However, the Ai-S has different front coating (pink-purple like) from the Ai version (the older Nikon greenish appearance), which somewhat improved its performance.
Is it ? Can any one clarify this pls?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom