Nikon 105mm f2.5 AI - A heartbreaker...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Czechman01, Jul 1, 2007.

1. ... if you think spending a lot of money for the latest and greatest is going to get you better IQ.

Straight from the D2X with NO adjustments... 100% crops, shot within seconds of each other in a studio environment.

105 2.5 AI
    original.

105 2.8 VR
    View attachment 103643

2. Thanks for the reminder Woody.

The 105/2.5 is a legend.

3. While I'd have to give the very slightest of nods to Nikon's latest and greatest, the old fella makes an extraordinary showing. And I'm pretty sure I know which one will be functioning exactly as it is today in another 30+ years.

4. Yes, that lens is a gem. I bought one recently and I'm still happy I did.

Cheers

5. Comparing these two shots I can't fine a single thing the 105 VR is doing better than the AI... resolving power, sharpness and color... absolutely no comparison.

Next I need to do a bokeh test wide open. Perhaps the VR will come out on top there, but it sure ain't showing me squat here.

6. ... And no Nano Coating :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. Perhaps it's due to slight differences in exposure and contrast, but I thought there was a slight difference in the acuity of the blood vessels in the white of the eye. Extreme nitpicking here and unlikely to be be visible in any print.

8. The contrast is a product of the lens optics - no adjustments were made.

Exposure is about as close as you get comparing a lens with 1/3 stops and another with full stop detents.

VR histogram
    original.

AI histogram
    View attachment 103645

9. Doesn't surprise me Woody....but you knew that, didn't you? :smile:

10. jeremyInMT

jeremyInMT Guest

Look like slightly more midtone contrast in the Ai lens...nice work.

11. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

vr looks a bit more saturated to me...;-)

12. dgh3

dgh3

Mar 13, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Impressive. The AI looks better to me. I'm paying special attention to the eyebrows and the reflected umbrella in the eye. Both are superior in the AI version. Thus, I don't think the diff can be written off to focus diff's. The AI just seems to have better contrast and slightly higher resolving power.

But, if the new lens adds the whistles and bells like super fast AF, VR, and manual full-time focus override, then, at least, it's good to know that they aren't messing up the optical quality to get these extras.

Also, we are just looking at one application, under relatively ideal circumstances. Outside of the controlled studio environment, shooting 100's of pics, the value of the other features may completely dominate a small IQ increase. I suspect that lens coating differences will really mattter when many different kinds of lighting come into play, especially with reflections and flaring.