Nikon 105mm F2.8 MC review

Real Name
Leif
I thought it worth posting a link to Thom Hogan’s review:

https://www.zsystemuser.com/z-mount...lens-reviews/nikon-105mm-f28-lens-review.html

He can winge a bit, and sometimes for good reason, but I have a lot of respect for his reviews, and suffice to say he likes it. A lot. And he thinks it is good value. To be honest Nikon seem to be hitting quite a few sixes (or home runs, for North Americans) of late, in terms of both price and performance. Lord knows why they aren’t selling more.

I find it interesting that he thought the previous F mount lens wasn’t quite as good as earlier lenses. I have the 105mm F2.8 AFD lens, and I have a very high opinion of it. It might not be the sharpest lens around, but it has beautiful contrast, and decent bokeh. The only fault I have seen is that out of focus specular highlights have obvious colour fringes, but this is really only an issue with metal objects, not so with fungi and plants. I’d be interested to know if there is a noticeable benefit from the new lens, other than VR and the convenience of not requiring an FTZ when mounted on a Z camera.

Thanks for posting this. I'm surprised he got the review out so early.

He doesn't gush as I expected him too, but he does put it in his "Highly Recommended" category.

Looking forward to his 50 MC review.

p.s. what is "winge"? Must be a Brit term.

Real Name
Leif
p.s. what is "winge"? Must be a Brit term.
Then you won’t have heard the term ‘winging pommie’. It’s Australian slang. A pom, or pommie, is a Brit. So a winging pommie is a moaning Brit. Sad to say the term is not entirely without truth. Hogan tends to whine, it’s not a fine whine, and it doesn’t improve with age. But if he says something is highly recommended, it is very good.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to whinge about Nikon Z bodies AF for close-up/macro. Some of my observations here

Snippet from Thom's review
How’s it Perform?

Focus: If there’s a weak point to this lens, it might be focus performance. I write “might” because this is really difficult to evaluate fairly. For general non-macro use the lens focus is typically fast and sure, as you’d expect. One of the things that happens in macro range, though, is that you often have a lot of lower contrast in your subjects, and you’re also moving the focus in very small increments. If you’re handholding, you also might not be at a constant distance. Most of the time the 105mm is really good at speed to focus lock, even with high magnification, but in some very close work I sometimes encountered slide-to-focus and need-to-hunt-once things happening with a few subjects. I don’t believe there’s a real problem here, but my impression is that my Sony 90mm snapped to focus a little faster in the same high magnification situations.

I don't recall having this issue using Nikon DSLR's and macro lenses, likewise its not an issue with another brand of mirrorless body and macro lens which I now use in the field for fungi and native orchids.

Only having my 105 for a few days I am finding that using Single Point AF (not Pin Point) seemed to help speed up focus. Using the focus range limiter does help keep the focus from wandering too much. I tend to use manual focus for most macro if I am using a tripod. I remember using the 60G macro on the D850 and that seemed to wander quite a bit as well. Otherwise, the MC 105 is a fantastic lens.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom