Nikon 12-24mm vs. Tokina 11-16mm

Hey guys,

I'm looking for my first fisheye lens. I came across and deal on a minty (9.8/10) Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X. It comes with the box, caps, covers, etc. I have inspected the lens and all looks very good. Seller is asking for $500 dollars.

But I'm also looking into the Nikon 12-24mm f/4 AF-S DX. I have not found a deal on this camera lens yet.

I'm still kind of a DSLR/lens noob. So, I hope some of the pros can help me with some questions.

1) Is $500 for the tokina lens a good deal?

2) How much would a used Nikon 12-24mm cost?

3) Is the tokina lens really better then the nikon (as stated by Ken Rockwell)?

4) Which lens will hold better value over time or even may increase in value?

I have started a small nikkor lens collection. I really wanted to keep it completely nikon lens only. However, if the tonkina is that much better and will hold value like the nikkor lens, then I will rather wait off on getting the tonkina and look for a good used nikon lens.

Let me know what you guys think! :)

Hello...

Neither of those lenses are fisheye lenses, they're wide-angle zooms. I think they're what you're looking for though!

The Tokina is fantastic - I've had it for 2 years and love it, on my camera 90% of the time. $500 is a solid price, mainly because they're really difficult to find for the most part.

Optically the Nikon is a tiny bit sharper, but the most important thing is that the distortion on the 12-24 is quite difficult to correct sometimes - the Tokina handles it much better.

They'll both hold their values extremely well, most of the good specialty lenses do.

Cheers,

Jon

I`m assuming you shoot only on DX, and I had the Tokina on my D90 and found it a fine lens. Generally Nikkon lenses will hold their value best, but I`d caution building up too much of a collection of DX lenses if ever you wanted to grade up to FX. If $500 is your budget though, I think you will find it a great lens, and expect to see it keep its value or drop over the next few years.

I don't have the Nikon, but own the Tokina and its a great WA. Its the one non-Nikon lenses that I own. $500 is a good deal. I would not worry about the whole "if you are ever going to upgrade..." - if you were going to you would know it and those lenses hold their value either way.

That said, as pointed out, neither is a fisheye. There are several threads on each, just run a search.

Hello...

Neither of those lenses are fisheye lenses, they're wide-angle zooms. I think they're what you're looking for though!

lol, sorry...as you can tell I am that noob! :)

Thanks for the tips John!

I`m assuming you shoot only on DX, and I had the Tokina on my D90 and found it a fine lens. Generally Nikkon lenses will hold their value best, but I`d caution building up too much of a collection of DX lenses if ever you wanted to grade up to FX. If $500 is your budget though, I think you will find it a great lens, and expect to see it keep its value or drop over the next few years.

Yeah, I only have one camera and it's a D90. I could spend more than $500, but I just don't want to take a major lost when I want to sell the lens. Why do you think in the long run the lens will drop in value? Maybe due to people moving to FX?

Also, thanks for feed back.

I don't have the Nikon, but own the Tokina and its a great WA. Its the one non-Nikon lenses that I own. $500 is a good deal. I would not worry about the whole "if you are ever going to upgrade..." - if you were going to you would know it and those lenses hold their value either way.

That said, as pointed out, neither is a fisheye. There are several threads on each, just run a search.

Yeah, I really don't see myself going in that direction. Time to hit the search engine! :)

Thanks for all the help!

-MJ

I`m maybe a bit cautious on lens values, but if you buy cheap enough I guess that will assure the lens you buy keeps its price. The problem is if there is a new model of lens, then a drop is certain - thats the unknown. I think you are fine for the short term though, but Nikons will hold better than others on that.

I don't think you can compare an 11-16 to a 12-24. The 11-16 can almost be considered a prime. The 12-24 gives double the range at the expense of not going to 11. I had both Tokina and Nikon 12-24s. I sold the Tokina. GH

Thanks for the feed back guys.

@brit,

The tonkina has been out for 3-4 years I think. And they have no made a new one for it b/c the current tokina is in high demand. Prices on used 12-24mm came down to around 500-600 right? Do you think it will drop even more in say 10 years? Sorry, if the questions sound noob. :( I'm new to lens.)

@ GH,

So you sold the tokina b/c you wanted more zoom range? What as you main purpose for using the lens? My main purpose is to shoot indoors and out door land scape shots. Which lens is better for this purpose?

Thanks for the helps in advance.

I don't think you can compare an 11-16 to a 12-24. The 11-16 can almost be considered a prime. The 12-24 gives double the range at the expense of not going to 11. I had both Tokina and Nikon 12-24s. I sold the Tokina. GH

Why did you sell the Tokina & keep the Nikon?

You'd be better comparing the Tokina 12-24 with the Nikkor 12-24. A clean used Tokina will cost you somewhere in the $325-375 range. Even a new one is less than $500. A refurb Nikkor 12-24 is well over $1000 on Nikons online store. Hands down, get the Tokina. You won't see any practical benefit in spending all that extra money for the Nikkor lens, and you'll have no problem selling it down the line without a big loss. Some would argue that the Tokinas are better built than the Nikkor, too.

My Tokina 12-24 F/4 Pro II is my favorite lens to shoot with.

You can find the 12-24 Pro for 350ish used. The 12-24 Pro II will be hard to find under 500 used.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom