Nikon 120-300

Real Name
Randy
I love my Sigma 120-300 - the Nikon would have to be a serious improvement for me to justify buying it.

As for the weight, I generally handhold my 120-300 for the games I shoot. Ive found that a lot of the weight is in the lens collar, and removing it makes a huge difference
How much of the 7+ lbs is the collar

Real Name
Dale
they won't be able to ignore the Sigma so hopefully the price will be around $4k
Randy, I tried the Sigma 120-300 and it was OK. I also shot the Nikon 200-400 and really liked it and bought a used one (second version). Then GAS struck and the desire for the 180-400 was just too strong. I sold the 200-400 to a friend and bought the 180-400. This is the lens with the 1X extender built-in. I love the lens and use it with a monopod. The focus seems, to me, to be very fast. The VR is a shot saver. The lens is not a light-weight but I rarely shoot hand-held. My friend tried it on a Z7 and was very please with his test shots. I will be trekking around the Everglades this winter in cooler weather so I will see if the size and weight wear me down.
I am quite sure the Nikon 120-300 will be of similar quality and with a D6 on the horizon, yes 2020 will be a new experience. Although, I would have to be BLOWN away by the features of the D6 to even consider selling or trading my D5. Keep shooting, Dale

Real Name
Randy
Randy, I tried the Sigma 120-300 and it was OK. I also shot the Nikon 200-400 and really liked it and bought a used one (second version). Then GAS struck and the desire for the 180-400 was just too strong. I sold the 200-400 to a friend and bought the 180-400. This is the lens with the 1X extender built-in. I love the lens and use it with a monopod. The focus seems, to me, to be very fast. The VR is a shot saver. The lens is not a light-weight but I rarely shoot hand-held. My friend tried it on a Z7 and was very please with his test shots. I will be trekking around the Everglades this winter in cooler weather so I will see if the size and weight wear me down.
I am quite sure the Nikon 120-300 will be of similar quality and with a D6 on the horizon, yes 2020 will be a new experience. Although, I would have to be BLOWN away by the features of the D6 to even consider selling or trading my D5. Keep shooting, Dale
Let me know about The glades, I’ve been thinking about a trip down there

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom