Nikon 135mm AI 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dengar, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Just landed this lens on Ebay for about $60 something shipped. Yes its manual and doesnt meter on my D50 but I figure it will give me a good opportunity to learn about lighting amd manual focus. Anyone have any experience with this lens?

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    lol I was just thinking bout getting that for my FE so I could have a budget portrait lens. but I didnt check back on it in time. glad another cafe member bagged it! hehe.

as for the metering its not that big a deal.

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    I have the AIS version which has the same optics. I think this lens gives you a lot of bang for the buck - if you compare it to the various 80-200/2.8 zooms it has the same speed, similar focal length, focuses as close, just as sharp, yet is a fraction of the size and cost.

Performance is generally good although I sometimes have a feeling it could be a bit sharper at infinity. At medium distances performance is excellent, and the background rendition (bokeh) is quite smooth.

4. So how does it work? Do you just shoot and re-adjust A and S or do you use a light meter?

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    There will be no metering on your D50.

Set the D50 to M mode. Set the apeture manually (on the lens). Select the shutter speed using the command dial. Focus and shoot.

6. I used to have it when I was shooting Nikon F3's. I liked it a lot for outdoor portraits. It is light and compact.

7. No No...I know that already. Im just asking if you all just guess, then re-shoot or just break down and get a light meter and use that. Thanks :)

8. The B

The B Guest

With my old, now gone, d70 i always guessed, reviewed the picture using histograms and adjusted the exposure for the next shot. Works, but still is a PITA if you ask me. I didn't use a light meter because it wouldn't be much more convenient. You'd have to check the exposure anyway AND carry a lightmeter around. Not my cup of tea, but your taste may be different.

9. ssjarz

ssjarz Guest

I am trading lunch for a light meter tomorrow just in case I am in the same situation!!

10. Just got it today. When everyone means manual, they mean MANUAL...even the flash! I definitely have to work on manual focus. Quick question....do you all usually focus from the picture or do you go by the little green dot?

Here are a few of my best attempts. Mind you most of them didnt come out like this LOL! The bokeh is pretty nice, looks like a keeper for portraits.

DSC_5253.gif

View attachment 216697

View attachment 216698