Nikon 135mm AI 2.8

Just landed this lens on Ebay for about $60 something shipped. Yes its manual and doesnt meter on my D50 but I figure it will give me a good opportunity to learn about lighting amd manual focus. Anyone have any experience with this lens?

lol I was just thinking bout getting that for my FE so I could have a budget portrait lens. but I didnt check back on it in time. glad another cafe member bagged it! hehe.

as for the metering its not that big a deal.

I have the AIS version which has the same optics. I think this lens gives you a lot of bang for the buck - if you compare it to the various 80-200/2.8 zooms it has the same speed, similar focal length, focuses as close, just as sharp, yet is a fraction of the size and cost.

Performance is generally good although I sometimes have a feeling it could be a bit sharper at infinity. At medium distances performance is excellent, and the background rendition (bokeh) is quite smooth.

So how does it work? Do you just shoot and re-adjust A and S or do you use a light meter?
There will be no metering on your D50.

Set the D50 to M mode. Set the apeture manually (on the lens). Select the shutter speed using the command dial. Focus and shoot.

T

The B

No No...I know that already. Im just asking if you all just guess, then re-shoot or just break down and get a light meter and use that. Thanks :)
With my old, now gone, d70 i always guessed, reviewed the picture using histograms and adjusted the exposure for the next shot. Works, but still is a PITA if you ask me. I didn't use a light meter because it wouldn't be much more convenient. You'd have to check the exposure anyway AND carry a lightmeter around. Not my cup of tea, but your taste may be different.

S

ssjarz

I am trading lunch for a light meter tomorrow just in case I am in the same situation!!

Just got it today. When everyone means manual, they mean MANUAL...even the flash! I definitely have to work on manual focus. Quick question....do you all usually focus from the picture or do you go by the little green dot?

Here are a few of my best attempts. Mind you most of them didnt come out like this LOL! The bokeh is pretty nice, looks like a keeper for portraits.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 216697

View attachment 216698

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom