1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 135mm AI 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dengar, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Just landed this lens on Ebay for about $60 something shipped. Yes its manual and doesnt meter on my D50 but I figure it will give me a good opportunity to learn about lighting amd manual focus. Anyone have any experience with this lens?

2. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    lol I was just thinking bout getting that for my FE so I could have a budget portrait lens. but I didnt check back on it in time. glad another cafe member bagged it! hehe.

as for the metering its not that big a deal.

3. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    I have the AIS version which has the same optics. I think this lens gives you a lot of bang for the buck - if you compare it to the various 80-200/2.8 zooms it has the same speed, similar focal length, focuses as close, just as sharp, yet is a fraction of the size and cost.

Performance is generally good although I sometimes have a feeling it could be a bit sharper at infinity. At medium distances performance is excellent, and the background rendition (bokeh) is quite smooth.

4. So how does it work? Do you just shoot and re-adjust A and S or do you use a light meter?

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    There will be no metering on your D50.

Set the D50 to M mode. Set the apeture manually (on the lens). Select the shutter speed using the command dial. Focus and shoot.

6. I used to have it when I was shooting Nikon F3's. I liked it a lot for outdoor portraits. It is light and compact.

7. No No...I know that already. Im just asking if you all just guess, then re-shoot or just break down and get a light meter and use that. Thanks :) 

8. The B

The B Guest

With my old, now gone, d70 i always guessed, reviewed the picture using histograms and adjusted the exposure for the next shot. Works, but still is a PITA if you ask me. I didn't use a light meter because it wouldn't be much more convenient. You'd have to check the exposure anyway AND carry a lightmeter around. Not my cup of tea, but your taste may be different.

9. ssjarz

ssjarz Guest

I am trading lunch for a light meter tomorrow just in case I am in the same situation!!

10. Just got it today. When everyone means manual, they mean MANUAL...even the flash! I definitely have to work on manual focus. Quick question....do you all usually focus from the picture or do you go by the little green dot?

Here are a few of my best attempts. Mind you most of them didnt come out like this LOL! The bokeh is pretty nice, looks like a keeper for portraits.

DSC_5253.

View attachment 216697

View attachment 216698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.