1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Nikon 18-105mm VR

Discussion in 'Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by craig.martell, Sep 20, 2008.

1. I am curious to how well this lens works. Please post any shots.

Craig

2. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    I would like to some some from this lens too. I would like to see some landscapes and general walk around shots.

3. I'd like to know how it performs on an IR-converted body.

4. OK... Got say that theres not too much wrong with these samples...
    I've been looking for a light weight lens with a good mid range FL & VR, that won't break the bank and this looks very promising...
    Thanks "yerffejleahcim" for posting these superb shots...
    BTW, can you put your first name in your signature as I'm having a real hard time saying and typing "yerffejleahcim".... :eek: ))

5. Appreciate your comment. I am fairly new to photography and I have learned alot from everyone here. No photoshop of pictures. Signature added. Thanks!

Number 1,2 and 4 are hand held. 3 is from a tripod.

6. yerffejleahcim...
    LOL... The penny just dropped... "yerffejleahcim" is "Michael Jeffery"...
    Well thought of... I was really wondering what it meant....

But hey, if your new to photography, you certainly hit the ground running with these extremely nice shots.. Well done...
    Did you use the D90 with the 18-105vr, as there is no Exif data..???
    Look forward to seeing some more shots, keep up the good work....

7. It is getting at a point where

I am getting at a point where and when I see images taken with those versatile DX lenses... I am tempted to keep my D300 for one of these lenses...

8. Dude,

I picked up a D60 mainly for this reason -- and to have a the extra reach on my 200 when I needed it.

Craig

9. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Will do. I've got one on the way for exclusive use on a D80-IR.

10. I have purchased an 18-105VR from a fellow Cafe member and am expecting it early this week. I will be testing it as an alternative to the 18-200VR, with the ultimate goal of putting together a light carry-around system with a D60 if I can find a good used one.

I'll post some shots and comparisons with other of my lenses when I get it.

By the way, Michael, those are excellent photos and bolster my confidence in my purchase!

11. Thanks Jim,

Looking forward to the shots.

Craig

12. Here's one of my first test shots - 105mm, f/5.6 (wide open), 1/160s, VR on. The focus point was on the lowest leaf near the lower right-hand corner.

378114113_wLZip-O.
    NIKON D200    ---    105mm    f/5.6    1/160s    ISO 200

No post-processing, but NX2 saves the in-camera settings: Color Mode III, Sharpening medium-high, Low-contrast, Saturation Normal.

13. Nice color and nice bokeh. Can't really tell about the sharpness though. Does it look soft to you?

14. I don't think so. Two mitigating factors: I applied no sharpening after downsizing for the web as I usually do, and this was an outdoor shot (obviously), hand-held, so there is a possibility of motion blur.

I'm planning some more definitive tests (stationary subjects) in the next few days.

15. Here's another - again not a rigorous test.

"Macro" with Canon 500D closeup filter. f/8, 1/8s hand-held, 80mm. Focus was on "Menu".

378316495_VxiZ6-O.
    NIKON D200    ---    80mm    f/8.0    1/8s    ISO 500

At 105mm with the 500D minimum focus distance seems to be about 9 inches.

16. That picture of the EVO looks pretty badly distorted for only 18mm. I don't even remember seeing it that bad when I took some shots around the house when I had my 18-105.

17. EVO? Which one is that?

18. Yerffejleahcim's car picture from page 1, a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.