Nikon 18-300mm Have you used one?

JLH

When ever you get into "super zooms" you make a lot of compromise. The key is your expectations of the photos you are taking. Much has been written on the 18-300 Nikon as a "good" travel lens. You can find a wealth of information and samples taken with it with a little looking. Some think its a great lens, others find it a bit lacking. It really depends on your priority. I have tried it and it was "OK" but I found my 70-300 more to my liking. But then I work more at the longer end and having a heavy lens so I could go wide didn't really matter to me.
So, its really more what your wants and expectations are. Greatest, sharpest lens out there...NO. Wide zoom range...yes. Fast action photo in low light...NO. Read the reviews and as you do so factor in the knowledge that the person doing the review has their own personal bias as they may like the long zoom range and don't worry about the details, or the reviewer liked long, fast lenses and found the 18-300 lacking for that. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

You want to use a dx zoom on your full frame D700?
I had an 18-300mm for a while and really enjoyed using it. It was the lighter "f6.3" at the long end, version
and was a pleasure to shoot with.

I too am looking for a zoom travel lens for my D700 but am not considering DX lenses.
I am looking at 24/28-100/200 lenses but have not made up my mind yet.

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
about 4-5x is my max on a zoom lens, hence the 16-80 and 24-120, the 16-80 is much better and is really a dx version of the 24-120.
The new 24-200 z is too much zoom but I'll take a look.
If you want much more than 120 consider giving up the short end. It's always a compromise. Personally for walking around I gotta have the 24 end but I can give up the 120-200 end (I wouldn't even consider anything more than 200 because then it gets too heavy).
The 28-300 has a good reputation but it's big and heavy

I applaud those of you who are still using your D700s, I sold mine years ago (regrettably) and have been though a myriad of brands and models (while probably wasting thousands of dollars) searching for the perfect camera when I had it right in my hands.

take care,
Tom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi everyone. Thank you for your responses. It has given me a lot to think about. As I mentioned I was originally looking at the Tammy 18-200mm but looking at its reviews it seemed to have several issues. I understand the problem with the weight. But that is something I have become use to. With mt D850 I have a 28-300mm lens. It is heavy. That is why I use a grip with the camera. Makes it easier to handle. I wish I could get a upgraded Nikon lens with a gold band but like many of us money is a factor. I feel that if you have a good camera and lens but are a so-so photographer your photos will not be that good. But whatever the camera and lens is if you know what you are doing you will produce some very good photographs. If I get this 18-300mm lens I certainly will be posting the results. Thanks again for your comments.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom