Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 DX on a D810…

It was drizzling rain day here, and I’d been thinking that I never tried a DX lens on my D810.
Went to my camera cupboard, and grabbed the first DX lens & it was my old Nikon 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 DX.
Did a couple of shots, and was quite surprised at the results, there's life left in this old lens… ☺
Here are a couple of shots I took & a 100% crop…

#1… 70mm@1/80s, f/4.5, ISO 1100

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2… 100% crop of #1…

#3… 70mm@ 1/80s, f/4.5, ISO 3600

This lens is an excellent lens ( and very cheap ) its always very sharp on my D2xs ( never tried it on a full frame )
Nice pictures.

My first Nikon was the D70s with the 18-70 DX Kit Lens. Seeing this post and the nice photos prompts me to pull this Lens from storage and give it a run on my D500. Thanks for sharing.

It was a great lens back then and your shots are wonderful today
Many thanks Tony, and your right, it still is a wonderful lens today…

This lens is an excellent lens (and very cheap) it’s always very sharp on my D2xs (never tried it on a full frame). Nice pictures.
Thanks, it was always considered a great Kit Lens that never lacked in the quality of the images it took.

Beautiful pictures from a great lens. I was very happy with mine. Gave it to our daughter along with the D70 after buying a D300. It met its fate when it fell from a counter top a few years later.....
Thank you Bill, & such a pity yours had such an unfortunate ending…

It was the definition of "not a typical kit lens" for me. Didn't sell mine until I got the 17-55. Still does the job, nice shots indeed.
Thanks David, it was always considered a much better lens than the price it sold for. Glad I still have it.

we always knew it was a classic lens and you just reinforced it great shots, #1 is wow.
Thanks Randy, always love this little lens when I bought it back in 2007, guess that’s why I still have it today, and it works just as well as it did back then…

Both shot at 1/80s. This highlights some good shooting technique beyond the virtues of the camera/lens combo. And I agree with several previous posters: the first one is special.
Thanks Doug, truly appreciate your kind comments.

My first Nikon was the D70s with the 18-70 DX Kit Lens. Seeing this post and the nice photos prompts me to pull this Lens from storage and give it a run on my D500. Thanks for sharing.
Your welcome Vern, & you might get a surprise using it on your D500, because I certainly did using it on the D810…

Old but gold - and very nice shots to prove it.
Thanks, much appreciated, & it is a “Golden Oldie”…

Real Name
Carl
I bought a "broken" 18-70 lens years ago that had "taken a fall"...$25 was reasonable, I thought. It ended up there was a substantial metal plate inside that was fractured! The glass was pristine, and the rest of the lens, too. I had it rebuilt, and it was one of the sharpest lenses I had at that time. They were and are good lenses, if you can get one that has been well taken care of.

Last edited:
Some of my best photos were made with this lens, regret selling it for small money. Bought it from a guy who published its measured characteristics on his extensive camera/lens technical website.

I bought a "broken" 18-70 lens years ago that had "taken a fall"...$25 was reasonable, I thought. It ended up there was a substantial metal plate inside that was fractured! The glass was pristine, and the rest of the lens, too. I had it rebuilt, and it was one of the sharpest lenses I had at that time. They were and are good lenses, if you can get one that has been well taken care of.
I was lucky as the one I bought was brand new as it came in the D70 kit & the owner didn’t want it.
Glad I kept it, but then again I tend to keep all the lenses I buy… LOL ☺ 😂

I use mine, from my D70, when I want to use a lighter/smaller lens than my 18-140.
I used it on my D50, D80 then my D300, until I bought the 16-85 VR for the D300, & then it became my walk around lens on my D80.

It was, and is, a great lens - that's the thing about glass: if it was good once, it'll be good forever. I kept mine until they stole it from me.
Won’t get any argument from me that it still is a great lens.
Sorry to hear that some low life stole it from you…

Some of my best photos were made with this lens, regret selling it for small money. Bought it from a guy who published its measured characteristics on his extensive camera/lens technical website.
Guess that’s why I tend to keep all the good lenses I buy… LOL 😊 😂 😊

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom