1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 2.8 questions

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JasonL, Sep 26, 2008.

1. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hello everyone, I am shooting a D200 and currently have a 18 to 200 vr, 50mm 1.8D, and 28 to 80 f3.3. I am looking for a 70 or 80 to 200 range 2.8 lens. Has anyone had any experience with the Sigma and Tamron? How do they compare to the nkon 80 to 200 2.8 line up. The 70 200 vr is a tad out of my price range. Any info would be appriciated !!!!

jason

2. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Nikon had a few different versions of the 80-200 AF lenses. Two push-pull zoom lenses with excellent optics and reasonably fast focusing, but NO tripod collar! That's a must for such a heavy lens and the Kirk adapters are a little goofy. Optics are outstanding. No "digital" coating on the rear lens element and I got nasty purple reflections from the sensor in medium to high contrast situations. I had the later version of the two and sold it.

Then there is the 80-200 "D" lens which is still screw drive, but a two ring design (focus/zoom rings). That's a great lens and has a tripod collar. I bought one brand new and didn't like it at ALL over 150mm, but I think I just had a bad sample. Focus was fast and it was comfortable to use. Some say the optics of that lens are the worst of the bunch, but they are still outstanding. Being the worst of the best isn't a bad place to be in. I returned it and got the 70-200VR.

Then there is the 80-200 AF-S. They only made this for a short time and is a BEAST of a lens. Focus is stupid fast as is the 70-200VR and the optics are probably the best of the bunch for the 80-200 series. Used they are still fetching around $1k though. Never owned one but people seem to love them.

No experience with the Sigma or Tamron, but by all accounts the Sigma 80-200 is extremely good quality and has great sharpness. If you're going to go aftermarket, you really can't go wrong with this lens. It has a great reputation and the price is about the same as the 80-200 "D" lens but you get HSM (AF-S) motor focusing with instant focus override, not the old type screw drive.

Decisions decisions right?

Welcome to the forums :smile:

3. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I've had a 80-200 Nikon AF-s - very nice but you can only get 2nd hand.

Sigma 70-200 HSM - I think is generally very well regarded. Early versions had some quality control issues and some backfocussed etc. I think this pretty much sorted. Not quite as good at the Nikon, but, not too bad for the $

Tamron 70-200 quite new, the IQ and colours look good on the samples I have seen, but the AF is VERY slow apparently

4. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Yes I think there is a Sigma 70-200 II now (2nd version) that is the one to buy.

5. Same experiences here. Went thru several bad copies of the Sigma version ll early on. But from what I am reading, perhaps Sigma has worked out the bugs.

The Nikon 80-200AF-S is a dream lens for me. Focusing well, sharp, with great color. You can find them used on Ebay, but a nice one will fetch near the same $$ as the 70-200VR. And never see any C/A whatsoever with this lens, and I shoot in mostly very high contrast situations......remarkable.

mike

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  6. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    Thanks

Thanks for the info, I was looking at the AFS one, but still 1000 used !!!!!! I hate to buy used for $1000............ I have held the sigma and seems built well. Hate make expensive choices

7. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Expensive choices aren't that bad, it's the expensive mistakes!!!

The Sigma has recieved very high reviews, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

8. Just save up for the Nikon. I've gone through so many third party lenses only to go Nikon at the end.

Buying used isn't bad either. Just make sure you're getting a clean lens, preferable if you can examine it first. Just remember if a particular lens is discontinued, it will probably not be repairable in the long run due to Nikon running out of parts.

9. JasonL

JasonL

Sep 26, 2008
    New Jersey
    push pull

I actually ound a push pull D version that is super clean. I am watching it now.....maybe i will win it

10. The 80-200 push pull is a great lens, very sharp, worth the money for sure. If you need the tripod collar then either the D or AFS version are great also. I agree with Jonathan though, third party lenses are ok but save for the Nikon, its worth it to be sure and buying used is a great way to save money.

AM

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.