Nikon 200-400 AIS

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by McQ67, Jul 2, 2008.

1. McQ67

McQ67 Guest

I was in a local store this past weekend and saw a used 200-400 AIS for sale. Nikon really built them like a tank! This was the first time I had ever seen one. We are spoiled these days with AF-s and VR, or Super ED Glass or Nano coated.

All I could think of was the great shots that I saw in Sports Illustrated back in the late 80's while in high school. I think about the tools that the pro photographers had back then vs what we have now. I think in general we place a lot of emphasis on technology rather than the art of taking the picture.

Jay

2. I feel the same way Jay. But technology does help from time to time. I hope to get a 200-400 AIS someday. It would be a great addition for me.

God Bless,
    David

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jay :

Nice, nice lens. What were they asking for it ?

John P.

4. McQ67

McQ67 Guest

The owner was trying to get approx $6,000 for it as he has had a while. He told me he paid much more for the lens, but then the AF-s version came out and his investment went in the toilet! He was motivated to sell it, so I am sure he would take much less. I didn't realize that the older lenses were so costly before the advent of autofocus.

I put my deposit down on a 300 f2.8, but I liked the focal length and clairity of the 200-400 ais, I am now wondering if I shouldn't get the new af-s 200-400 vr instead.

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    McQ67: I completly agree on your point. Manual focus is part of the fun/craft. It takes practice and even than no one is perfect. but when you nail it. There is some personal satisfaction that is hard to beat.
    If you go in there again is it possible to take a couple of captures with the Nikkor 200-400 ED AIS . I have always wanted one of these and would love to see how it measures up to its modern day counterpart. Looking at the two optical formula side by side I cant Imagine all those extra peices of glass doing the modern version any favors. If not even a capture of the lens itself would be nice to see. The modern Nikkor's just don't make my heart beat like the old Nikkor AIS.

6. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
    The lens was unique and very expensive in its day, not many were sold - total production was approx 450. Of course, once it was discontinued it proved to be very popular, which kept prices high. Maybe that's what prompted Nikon to produce the new AFS version. That lens has sold very well, at least 6500 units.

7. McQ67

McQ67 Guest

The store is on my way home but I don't have my camera with me. I am sure that I could get some images posted for you by Saturday evening as the store isn't too far from home but most likely will be closed on the Fourth.I can't imagine that they would have a problem with me doing that. If they do I will shoot you a message.

best

jay

8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Hey Jay; Thanks for the P.M I just got off the phone with the owner. Heck of a nice guy. Negotioiations are under way. :smile: If all goes well maby by Saturday Ill post a picture of it for you. Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.