NIKON 200-400 VR ARRIVED!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dond, Jul 1, 2005.

1. WHAT A BEAST! This lens is huge....my current tripod and head cannot handle this combo. MyRRS ballhead doesn't ship till July 8 and I just ordered a Gitzo 1348. Seems I can handhold for 3-4 shots, then try to rest on my chest. It focuses extremely fast and the few test photos I took looked really good.

To other owners of this lens, do you carry it separately in it's own case or put it in your camera bag(?) when not attached to camera body? If you do put in in your camera bag, what bag is it?

I have a LowePro Nature Trekker AW. Now, this lens will fit down the center of the bag, but how do I fit the other lenses and body in there? I usually take along the Nikon 70-200VR, Nikon 12-24 and Sigma 150 macro and the SB800 flash. I'm going to have a few different configurations, for sure.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Oh yeah!

Congrats Don! Mine will fit into my mini trekker on wheels, (TC attached), along with my 70-200VR laid inverse, then my 28-70 (or similar), along with my 2X, & a few accessories, will barely all fit in there. If I'm just taking "Godzilla", as Backdoctor puts, it, I'll leave it attached to the cam, and seatbelt it in the front pass seat via the tripod foot. I know that sounds dumb, but it is pretty safe, and at the ready!

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Don :

Heh. You just need to start doing some serious weightlifting - flyes and preacher-curls are recommended - so handheld with this lens will become easy. Don't stint on the old "more reps - less weight" silliness. Load those dumbbells and barbells up !!!

As for a bag, I use the Lowepro PhotoTrekker II, which allows me to have the 200-400mm, 70-200m, two TCs, a body, an SB-800, and several other lenses as needs suit (e.g., bring the 28mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.4 when I suspect some good low light conditions may exist). I've carried the lens in its own case for some road trips, but with the PhotoTrekker, I usually have more lenses than I really need. :lol:

I went over to the Wimberley "big head" when I got the 200-400mm and I haven't looked back once. I've yet to hit a condition where I can't manage shooting with that head on either a monopod or a tripod. And placing it on the mono- or tripod is darned fast compared with a multipart ball and head arrangement...

... but I do shoot handheld most of the time. Don't let people tell you it can't be done. See : https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=2308&highlight= for an example of an easy handheld shot... Sort of.

But get started on those curls, eh ? Here. Work with that - it's only 100 lbs, just to get you started, y'understand? :twisted: :mrgreen: :twisted:

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Congrats. I will own that lens in the next year :twisted: In fact, I prepared for it yesterday by ordering a Gitzo 1325 and Markins M20 ballhead :D

6. Kim

Kim

Jun 16, 2005
    Tennessee
    dond, keep me in mind for your now usless 80-400VR. Congrats on your new BEAST!

7. Congrats Don...I love it!!! I slip it into my phototrekker like John P sometimes or just leave it in it;s own case and carry it seperate. I hand hold mine mostly all the time, took the last three in here with it;

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=6797

Hope you enjoy the lens. I have a 500mm AF-S as well but my 200-400 is really my favorits lens!!!!! :shock: :shock:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Don,

Christmas in July???? Congrats on getting some new glass. Can't wait to see some images.

9. Oh WOW!

You are so lucky!

BTW-Your collection of lenses thus far is where I hope to be in about 50 years. Hey wait - I will be 90 years old - gonna need a pretty good tripod I suppose. :p

Post them pics with this most awesome lense.

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Don,

PM sent.

Wade

11. Henk

Henk Guest

Congrats Don on your purchase, and don't forget to post us some samples ;-)

best regards

Henk

12. Lex Talionis

Lex Talionis Guest

I just got the 200-400VR too. :p

I agree it is quite a heavy lens, but I quickly found if position my myself in a boxing stance, and wedge my left elbow against my ribs then lean back slightly, I can hold it steady and pan quite comfortably.

I have an airshow coming up this Sunday which will be 8 hours of mostly handheld shooting. I imagine I'll be aching quite a bit on Monday :)

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Lex,

I hope that you'll share some air show images with all of us. The Chicago Air and Water Show is August 20 and 21...I plan to have my CF card smoking by the end of the weekend!!!

14. Lex Talionis

Lex Talionis Guest

Well I’ll try my best. Hopefully I’ll get some images worth sharing.