Nikon 200-400

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kiskaprince, Aug 5, 2008.

1. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    I was wonder 3 year old 200-400VR I think gray market worth today.
    I have a serial #705120 and it is not showing that was made in Canada.
    Can anybody find out where and when was that lens made?
    How much should I pay for it?( looks mint)
    Thank you so much

2. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Anybody can answer this???
    Thank you

3. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    That serial -705120 is not even there so it looks like it is gray market.
    Isn't??

4. No Nikon lenses are made in Canada. All the 200-400 lenses are made in Japan. AFAIK it is not possible to see from the serial number in which country the lens was sold - there will be no difference in serial number for a US sold lens versus a Canada sold lens.

The best you can do is ask the seller if he has the original warranty card, or call Nikon Canada and ask if they imported the lens.

Regarding value, check somewhere like keh.com to see if they have any second hand in stock. Given that the lens costs around $5000 new and B&H, I might expect to pay $3500-4000 for one in good condition, rising to $4500 for one in excellent condition. But of course the true value is what it is worth to you......

5. Since Nikon made the lens, it would only be a grey market lens depending on where it was sold first.

The suggestion to call Nikon Canada is a good one, wish I had thought of that.

6. Buying a grey market telephoto is playing with fire. If that lens ever breaks or dies, you're SOL when it comes to repairs. Especially with all that fancy AFS, VR gizmos it ain't worth it. Find a lens for your market, it's a better investment in the long run.

7. Anyone wanting to get a new 200-400VR USA warranty, please PM me. My dealer has one right now.

8. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

i certainly wouldnt buy a grey mkt dslr but a super nikkor 200-400 f/4 or any nprofesional nikkor glass would be a great buy in my book.grey mkt or not.id take the chance of having to pay for repair work.

9. johnmh

johnmh

Nov 21, 2007
    Greater NYC
    If you're NOT the original owner there's no warranty.

Any repairs - you're paying. Nikon will deal with it if you're paying - quoting a Nikon rep in Melville. You have tons of lenses bought all over the world resold regularly. It is in Nikon's own best interest to support those second-hand lenses.

Bought a second hand 200-400 - only way I could get one. Great shape but still wanted to make sure I could get it fixed if needed. Called Nikon directly. No problem according to the rep.