Showcase Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 E ED AF-S VR

810_1331-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Fantastic shot.

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
810_1331-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
A very special image ended. I like it very much. A sure wall hanger I'd say.
Cheers.
Mike

Thank you all for the kind comments. Shot was taken on the way to work - just a mile out of town on the side of the road. 40 or so images before this I was only concentrating on the Sun. Then the horses decided to go for a gallop - both directions. Crossing fingers I just squeezed off another 50 or so shots and this one stood out as the best of the lot. Took less than 2 minutes. I also like taking landscape shots with the 200-500mm. It definitely compresses. I have also experimented with HDR (3-5-7 shots). With the VR on this lens alignment of all the images is pretty darn close. Again, thanks for the support !!

i won't sell mine for 2 reasons, resale value sucks and IQ is awesome (and it's small and light), wait that was 4 reasons, and I love VR for LS shots, now i'm up to 5

Agree with you Randy... I'm really disappointed to see the resale values plummet on these - I know zooms don't hold value like the fixed lenses do.. but I was still surprised to see what these were selling for now. I still love the image quality and flexibility too!

Agree with you Randy... I'm really disappointed to see the resale values plummet on these - I know zooms don't hold value like the fixed lenses do.. but I was still surprised to see what these were selling for now. I still love the image quality and flexibility too!

Yep, Nikon screwed us on the resale value of the 80-400 when they decided to price the 200-500 at $1399! They really milked that 80-400 price point when there was no competing lens on the market - very shrewd.

Mike

Yep, Nikon screwed us on the resale value of the 80-400 when they decided to price the 200-500 at $1399! They really milked that 80-400 price point when there was no competing lens on the market - very shrewd.

Mike

While I am sympathetic, I had a D2H that was REALLY devalued by the D2Hs, I don't think it is fair to imply that this is some sort of Nikon strategy. By this logic, then, I would guess that 200-400 f4 users have been ever more "screwed" by Nikon. Technology changes, we don't know what cost differences there are in the tech between these lenses. I think to expect Nikon to price something higher to keep used values up makes no sense, none at all.

Now, just like with my D2H, doesn't mean people shouldn't be annoyed, I sure as heck was! :mad:

Real Name
Randy
While I am sympathetic, I had a D2H that was REALLY devalued by the D2Hs, I don't think it is fair to imply that this is some sort of Nikon strategy. By this logic, then, I would guess that 200-400 f4 users have been ever more "screwed" by Nikon. Technology changes, we don't know what cost differences there are in the tech between these lenses. I think to expect Nikon to price something higher to keep used values up makes no sense, none at all.

Now, just like with my D2H, doesn't mean people shouldn't be annoyed, I sure as heck was! :mad:

strategy or coincidence ? or good business

I don't hold it against them, the 80-400 is still a great lens and they had to compete with Tamron and Sigma in the 150-600 space

Ya Bill, I'm with you on this.... Things keep moving on and getting better. But talk about being screwed: I bought the 80-400 in 2001 when it came out for lots of money then 12 years later they bring out another one same focal length, same aperture and the resale tanks on the old one. So I bought the new one. Now they bring out the 200 - 500 and my dealer gives me a deal. so now I have the old 80-400 the new 80-400 and the 200-500.... Ok, just so you know, my dealer doesn't bother with heroin as they know I am totally addicted to nikkors..... :p:p;)

I tend not to sell my old equipment, being a pack rat and al... but then I can just give the old stuff to my nieces and well I don't have to feel guilty....

The new 200 - 500 f5.6 is a very nice lens, but it is slower than the 80- 400. My copies are both very sharp and I can't say I see a difference between the two at the long end.

If you are on a limited budget I can see how one would feel annoyed. But really, if you have a 80-400 you don't really need a 200 -500 as it is superb and it focuses faster for BIF etc.

cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle.

Real Name
Andreas Berglund
I guess it depends on what you want to do, handhold = 80-400, batter range and more tripod oriented 200-500, I think most would go for better range if they don't have any other supertele...

Yes, nice review! I found his comments about the 80-400 vs 200-500 interesting - he says he wants both :) Most reviewers seem to dismiss the 80-400 these days...

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
I guess it depends on what you want to do, handhold = 80-400, batter range and more tripod oriented 200-500, I think most would go for better range if they don't have any other supertele...
Hmmm, I'm able to shoot the 200-500mm at f5.6 with 1/15s handheld. The VR is really good. Oh, I forgot ISO200...

Klaus

I've just received mine and it seems fine , will test tomorrow. The weight is another thing ! I know why I got rid of my other big lenses and went for the 300 pf now. It'll take some getting used to again but we must persevere for the sake of art ,mustn't we ?

Thank you all for the kind comments. Shot was taken on the way to work - just a mile out of town on the side of the road. 40 or so images before this I was only concentrating on the Sun. Then the horses decided to go for a gallop - both directions. Crossing fingers I just squeezed off another 50 or so shots and this one stood out as the best of the lot. Took less than 2 minutes. I also like taking landscape shots with the 200-500mm. It definitely compresses. I have also experimented with HDR (3-5-7 shots). With the VR on this lens alignment of all the images is pretty darn close. Again, thanks for the support !!
Another fan of your impromtu shot.....excellent! Your experience of shooting many shots reminds me of an art shop owner describing how she spent an entire weekend shooting thousands of shots at a special location, finally finding "the one" to process/prepare for sale.

Latest threads

Top Bottom