Showcase Nikon 200mm f/2 VR - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boognish

Hi all together,

this is my first post on this board. Well, I bought this fabulous lens some weeks ago. Here are some examples from mine:

3414271500_3deef32469_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3414496646_b7eae86b0a_b.jpg

3459794961_b25fe0fa16_b.jpg

3459799445_cf1f3e2b12_b.jpg

3459791819_497b8dd490_b.jpg

kind regards
Oliver

B

Boognish

Thanks for your friendly welcome! I found some more - sunday was raceday:)

3461500457_5e50156176_b.jpg

3459803659_ca76de525d_b.jpg

kind regards
Oliver

p.s. Great board, great threat - but I guess I'm not the first one to mention this...:)

-------------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/daxoop/

Well, my lens arrived yesterday. I know it has been said before, but WOW, this lens is big!. It is going to take a little getting used to, but I am going to enjoy this baby. Here is a very quick grab from the patio after opening the box. (I promised my wife I would finish remodeling the kitchen before I did anything else. I need to keep this promise because she endulges my photography habit, err, hobby:wink:)

original.gif

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep the wife happy Michael, or your next expensive needed photography item might be questioned! You can document the kitchen remodelling with the 200 f2 and train focus point selection @ f2.

I am really undecided on this lense, the 300 2.8 VR and 200-400 look all so tempting too.
I don't know, what to do.

Keep the wife happy Michael, or your next expensive needed photography item might be questioned! You can document the kitchen remodelling with the 200 f2 and train focus point selection @ f2.

I am really undecided on this lense, the 300 2.8 VR and 200-400 look all so tempting too.

I've decided the 300 2.8 is a much more practical lens.

practical! :eek:

Well, phooey!

My 200mm f/2 will be delivered from Nikon service (fungus in the lens I bought from a private party) tomorrow. The only problem is that I'm out of town for the next two weeks.

Well, it'll be nice to come home.

Hey there, I got back to Shanghai yesterday evening, looking at your pictures of the F1...I've managed to miss out on the Autoshow as well.

Great pictures BTW, I see you've managed to get the stand K, it's nice to see some pictures from a different perspective, looking forward to more!

And do get the 200/2, then add a teleconverter!:biggrin:

200 f2 - more motor sport shots with TC17/ TC20 anyone?

Great pictures BTW, I see you've managed to get the stand K, it's nice to see some pictures from a different perspective, looking forward to more!

And do get the 200/2, then add a teleconverter!:biggrin:

Ah BB, I see, you know that track blind folded.
Yes K it is and I learned, you can move quite freely around the whole B grandstand including a few gaps in the track side fence, to get some different angles.

More photos will come, when I have sorted my image compression issues, described in this thread.
Especially the rain shots, I wrote my D3 recommendation on rain usage here.

What I am missing completely is reach, where maybe a converted 200 f2 fits in. So far, I think, the 300 f2.8 seems the better pick for what I want.

Thanks Xenonsupra for the tip on the "practicality" if one can use this word for these lenses hand holded.

The issue is, to find a place in Shanghai, where I can try the 3 contenders, to find a decision. I would love to rent them one after another for the next 3 occasions and base my decision on that (too bad its not possible in Shanghai).

I think, there is a MotoGP run shortly in Shanghai - do you have any motorsport photographs with the 200 f2 BB ?

And were would you buy these lenses here?
I never see them laying on stock.

Here's my first shots. JPG straightly out of D80. No touch. Hand hold. It's so heavy despite I have 300 f2.8. I should have thought twice before buying this beauty :)
F2.8
DSC_0947.png

F2.2
View attachment 28058

F2
View attachment 28059

P

Post215

Done today, thanks for the tip. By coincidence just got an email from B&H saying they will only special order the CP.

Cool! I think you'll enjoy it. I've been using mine and really like it. It even works great indoors. The little bit of lost light really isn't too bad.

Ah BB, I see, you know that track blind folded.
Yes K it is and I learned, you can move quite freely around the whole B grandstand including a few gaps in the track side fence, to get some different angles.

More photos will come, when I have sorted my image compression issues, described in this thread.
Especially the rain shots, I wrote my D3 recommendation on rain usage here.

What I am missing completely is reach, where maybe a converted 200 f2 fits in. So far, I think, the 300 f2.8 seems the better pick for what I want.

Thanks Xenonsupra for the tip on the "practicality" if one can use this word for these lenses hand holded.

The issue is, to find a place in Shanghai, where I can try the 3 contenders, to find a decision. I would love to rent them one after another for the next 3 occasions and base my decision on that (too bad its not possible in Shanghai).

I think, there is a MotoGP run shortly in Shanghai - do you have any motorsport photographs with the 200 f2 BB ?

And were would you buy these lenses here?
I never see them laying on stock.

To try them all out is a little tricky in Shanghai, they used to let you do that in the Nikon showroom on Nanjing Rd. but now they only let you watch them sit in the showcase :mad:

Unfortunately the MotoGP Shanghai race is cancelled this year, that's why the F1 was moved to April in stead of the usual late September - early October timing.

And yes, here are some pictures taken (from stand B) with the 200/2 + 1.7x using the D2x so that's another 1.5x crop.

BBZ_402720081020.jpg

Even at this distance the lens renders the background a little OOF:
BBZ_400420081020.jpg

BBZ_471820081020.jpg

And a few of the MotoGP last year, but I was on the main stands and I didn't really like how the shots came out:frown::

BBZ_9982.jpg

Rossi was pretty far away from me when I took this shot...
BBZ_9761.jpg

Some stores in Shanghai do have them in stock, especially the 300/2.8, however, I bought my 200/2 in Beijing, that lens is pretty hard to get, having said that, there are a few 2nd hand ones floating around in Shanghai...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom