Showcase Nikon 20mm f/1.8 G

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
I took the lens to Maui last year and fiddled around with it at night. It's a lot smaller and lighter than the 14-24 and travels easily.

ui-nightsky2-5-21-15 by rick reno, on Flickr
Some beautiful shots guys. My 20mm has seen little action lately. I always seem to have enough room for the 14-24, but thanks for reminding me that I've got one! (y)

I bought this lens as a lightweight alternative to my 14-24mm for a hiking trip in Switzerland. Sadly, I used it only a few times.

1. Gorner glacier

2. Six image pano from Gornergrat (the observatory and hotel in the upper left)

3. High alpine wildflower

This lens is not getting the love it deserves. I recently got a copy and I Love it. The lens seems really sharp. But enough words some shots:

#1 Vancouver Art Gallery Nikon D850 20mm F1.8 1/250 F4 ISO 64

#2 "Small" Nikon D850 20mm F1.8 1/320sec F4 ISO 64 ( I love the scale of the small person in lower right to the towering buildings.

#3 Hornby and Hastings. The old Marine building with a new glass skyscraper behind. Nikon D850 20mm F1.8 1/320 F4 ISO 64

Overall I am impressed with the 20mm F1.8 but them Vancouver is a lovely place to shoot on a sunny day.

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

"mom you move too fast we need to sniff every pole properly..." - Georgie Beagle

Very sharp images and those clear skies look great. I've used my copy of this lens twice, I picked it up right after it became available. I don't have a FF body and haven't tried it on my D500. It should get more use.

Very sharp images and those clear skies look great. I've used my copy of this lens twice, I picked it up right after it became available. I don't have a FF body and haven't tried it on my D500. It should get more use.
Hi Rick, I don't do much cityscapes shooting, this was a morning I was walking to a conference on the waterfront. I am really impressed with the sharpness of the lens, it matches the sensor on the D850... Some of my earlier lenses don't.

Love to see some of your shots with your lens to compare..

Cheers,
alexis and Georgie Beagle

" mom, the 20mm makes my nose look big!!! so use a longer lens please." - Georgie Beagle

I'll try. Having a lot of trouble posting two photos in one post, not at all sure what is going wrong. Maybe it'll work if I try using Flickr. If it works, dock was taken the first day I had the lens, I was curious how it worked and took it with me on a walk. Other one is a quick snap somewhere on the Oregon coast, I'm pretty sure I rested the camera on the hood of the car.

sunset5-oregoncoast-7-20-15 by rick reno, on Flickr

emptydocks-5-5-15 by rick reno, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'll try. Having a lot of trouble posting two photos in one post, not at all sure what is going wrong. Maybe it'll work if I try using Flickr. If it works, dock was taken the first day I had the lens, I was curious how it worked and took it with me on a walk. Other one is a quick snap somewhere on the Oregon coast, I'm pretty sure I rested the camera on the hood of the car.

View attachment 1598823sunset5-oregoncoast-7-20-15 by rick reno, on Flickr

View attachment 1598824emptydocks-5-5-15 by rick reno, on Flickr
Hi Rick,

I love the sunset shot. The lens seems work be working well for you. I really like the wideness of the lens.Thanks for sharing them.

Cheers
alexis

"mom. Let's just go out and shoot and don't obsess over the gear"- Georgie Beagle

Just got my Nikon 20mm f1.8G the other day. Here are a few test shots of a few of my familiar subjects. What a stunning little lens! Sharp across the frame at f8, superb overall IQ and sharp at f1.8 in the centre. This is a substitue for my Tamron 15-30 f2.8 when I want to travel light and all I can say is, WOW! I am now selling my 24mm f1.4G as it is redundant, moreso because I don't use it enough and at f8, the 24-70 f2.8E VR is 99% as good and I rarely use the 24 f1.4 at the wide open apertures.

D850 + 20mm f2.8G, 1/640s f/8.0 at 20.0mm iso90

D850 + 20mm f2.8G, 1/160s f/8.0 at 20.0mm iso90

D850 + 20mm f2.8G, 1/40s f/8.0 at 20.0mm iso250

D850 + 20mm f2.8G, 1/8000s f/1.8 at 20.0mm iso72

D850 + 20mm f2.8G, 1/500s f/8.0 at 20.0mm iso100

Mount Abu
India

Cheers !!!

Some more from Mount Abu, Rajasthan ...

Salute to Gandhi on his Birth Anniversary today ...

Mokra Gora, Serbia ...

Cheers !!!

Beautiful shots. I was looking at the rails in the last photo and they looked narrow. Did some googling and discovered they have. 9.6 mile section of narrow gauge railroad in service from Mokra Gora to Šargan. I think I read it’s the only narrow gauge still in use.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom