Showcase Nikon 24-120mm f/4 AF-S VR - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did you go through three copies?
They were all good copies... bought them used and kept deciding I really didn't need the 24-120. Traded first one for the 28-300... Sold the second... This last one was a bargain and I feel like it will remain as my walkaround FX lens.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

^ Yeah, someone needs to get their sensor cleaned. :wink:

Seriously now, great landscape shots. Especially the second. Well done.

Nice Randy!
Are those dust bunnies in that second shot?
^ Yeah, someone needs to get their sensor cleaned. :wink:

Seriously now, great landscape shots. Especially the second. Well done.
thx guys

i shuda said i knew about the dust, those were PP on the road and the sensor has been cleaned since then and those shots will be re PP before they go to my website

We spent part of Father's Day at a car show in St. Paul, Minnesota. Despite cloudy, steamy weather (yes, steamy in Minnesota!!), I had fun with my 24-120 f/4 AF-S VR. Here are a couple of shots.

We spent part of Father's Day at a car show in St. Paul, Minnesota. Despite cloudy, steamy weather (yes, steamy in Minnesota!!), I had fun with my 24-120 f/4 AF-S VR. Here are a couple of shots.

http://ssphotos.smugmug.com/Events-and-Performers/Back-To-The-50s-Car-Show-2011/i-zhxqhXg/0/XL/DSC2018DxO-XL.jpg

http://ssphotos.smugmug.com/Events-and-Performers/Back-To-The-50s-Car-Show-2011/i-g7z8355/0/XL/DSC2093DxO-XL.jpg
I'm SO envious! The closest I got to the cars was driving by the Fair Grounds last friday!

Some very nice images in this thread. I am in a bit of a quandry and can use some advice.

I have been with FX since the first month of the D3 release and have been with out a "Good" lens, IMHO. I had a 28-70, and for 95% of my event work, it was perfect. Better than perfect. I had a UWA (15-30) and life was good.

Then the D3 destroyed the 28-70...because 70 was just too short for me, for event work (weddings, parties, etc.) I remember the first time I used the D3 with the 28-70 and I had to keep looking to see that I wasn't stepping on a person's toes.

Anyway, I tried a 28-105 (D, no AFS). Then retried a 24-120 VR (before the 18-200 came out and it was OK). I actually liked the first 24-120 VR I had, when I was using it on a DX body. The second 24-120VR was ok on FX, but I didn't like using it wider than 28mm, but I made due with it for the past few years.

A few weeks ago, I decided to try the 28-300. After only one event, I am ready to get rid of it. It was dim for sure, but more importantly, it was stiff. I ended up using a 16-35 more during a reception than I have ever before just because. And I paid the price of too wide of shots for the event.

So, I am back on hunt for the ideal event lens.

is the 24-120/4 VR it?

Has anybody else tried the 28-300 and made a similar decision?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!

Some very nice images in this thread. I am in a bit of a quandry and can use some advice.

I have been with FX since the first month of the D3 release and have been with out a "Good" lens, IMHO. I had a 28-70, and for 95% of my event work, it was perfect. Better than perfect. I had a UWA (15-30) and life was good.

Then the D3 destroyed the 28-70...because 70 was just too short for me, for event work (weddings, parties, etc.) I remember the first time I used the D3 with the 28-70 and I had to keep looking to see that I wasn't stepping on a person's toes.

Anyway, I tried a 28-105 (D, no AFS). Then retried a 24-120 VR (before the 18-200 came out and it was OK). I actually liked the first 24-120 VR I had, when I was using it on a DX body. The second 24-120VR was ok on FX, but I didn't like using it wider than 28mm, but I made due with it for the past few years.

A few weeks ago, I decided to try the 28-300. After only one event, I am ready to get rid of it. It was dim for sure, but more importantly, it was stiff. I ended up using a 16-35 more during a reception than I have ever before just because. And I paid the price of too wide of shots for the event.

So, I am back on hunt for the ideal event lens.

is the 24-120/4 VR it?

Has anybody else tried the 28-300 and made a similar decision?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!!
Can't speak to the 28-300, aside from sample images I've seen. But I do have a 24-70/2.8, that has now been gathering dust since getting this 24-120/4 VR. For me, it is the ideal event lens. I've gained more confidence in it with every outing.

To be sure, it has limitations. It does vignette wide-open, and also has moderate distortion (no, I won't debate what "moderate" means). But I shoot RAW, and lately learned to use DxO for the lens module corrections, finishing the tweaks in Lightroom 3. DxO seems to do better at correcting any optical issues, but I like Lightroom for other tweaks, noise reduction, and the like. This all does take some time of course, but the results are worth it - to me, anyway.

Here's a snap from the car show that I believe shows what the 24-120/4 VR is capable of, at least from a sharpness perspective. This was shot at f/5.6, 100mm:

And a crop:

Here's a shot at the wide end, 24mm at f/5.6:

So for me, plenty good. Not selling my 24-70 yet, but it'll be interesting to see how much use it gets over the next few months. I'm guessing not much...

Using my new Father's Day gift to shoot some photos of my nieces and nephew...

Scott

Great shots with the 24-120, thanks for sharing. I took my father to the MN Zoo on Father's Day (I think the car show would have been more fun :) ) I just got a 24-120 and haven't had a chance to give it a real trial--you inspired me to make it a priority, if it ever stops raining!)

Alan

Scott

Great shots with the 24-120, thanks for sharing. I took my father to the MN Zoo on Father's Day (I think the car show would have been more fun :) ) I just got a 24-120 and haven't had a chance to give it a real trial--you inspired me to make it a priority, if it ever stops raining!)

Alan
Thanks Alan! I haven't been to the Mn Zoo yet this season, but want to go soon. You're right about the raining - jeez, we got over an inch during the night again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom