1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 24-120mm sharp?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Nick Zochios, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Nick Zochios

Nick Zochios

Feb 12, 2018
    London
    Hi All.
    New member here and new owner of a 24-120 lens.
    I read very carefully almost all of the 129 pages of this thread.
    Although I think this lens provides really good colourfull pictures, I am really disappointed by its sharpness.I am thinking of selling it and buy a Nikon 24-70 2,8 instead
    I couldn't find even one shot that can convince me this lens is a high standards prof lens.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I love mine!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I have and use both lenses and agree that the 24-120 is not as sharp as the 24-70. However, I occasionally shoot IR and I have found that the 24-120 has less tendency to create hot spots than the 24-70 when shooting IR. Thus, the 24-120 gets used when I shoot IR.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nick, are you a professional photographer? What type of professional shooting do you do?

I ask because I don't view the 24-120mm as a replacement for my professional lenses. It is an excellent compromise as a high quality walk around lens when I don't feel like lugging my heavier pro glass. I am certainly not disappointed in the sharpness. Perhaps you have a bad copy. I have enlarged several of my landscape photos with this lens and printed over 3 ft with excellent sharpness.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nick Zochios

Nick Zochios

Feb 12, 2018
    London
    I am not a professional photographer but having read the following review i expected it to be something very close to 24-70.It is not, and judging from the hundrends of shots i have seen so far i would say that it can't be a replacement for the 24-70.The main problem-for me at least-is not the f/4 but the lack of really good sharpness.
    Nikon 24-120mm f/4G VR Review

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nick, any sense of what focal length you will be using primarily and in what situations? I own both the 24-70mm and the 24-120mm. To me, they are two very different tools. I use my 24-70mm as an event lens. Great for wedding receptions or corporate events. Very sharp but big and heavy. The 24-120mm is my go to lens if I am out with my family or hiking and want to carry a minimal amount of gear. It's significantly smaller and light than the 24-70mm and also has VR which helps in low light. As I said, mine is plenty sharp.
    The review you linked is interesting. They comment that the lens is very sharp on the wide range and complain about lack of sharpness on the long end. That hasn't been my experience, but I don't think it is fair to compare these two lenses. How sharp is the 24-70mm at 120mm? ;) 

7. Nick Zochios

Nick Zochios

Feb 12, 2018
    London
    I see your points..as you own both 24-120 and 24-70 i just want to ask you how big you think is the difference in sharpness between the two lenses?
    I am asking you this because if it is not so big probably no one of those lenses is appropriate for my taste.

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    The 24-70 is sharper...but it depends on your subject and exposure situation. For travel photography, my most used focal length is 80-85mm. Thus it is my choice for travel photography and IR. BUT, if I want to create the best possible image and ignore the weight penalty, I use the 24-70.

YMMV....only you can decide after shooting both what is acceptable to you.

9. Well, the 24-70mm is sharper, but you still haven't mentioned what you shoot. I'm surprised you could look at this entire thread and feel that this lens is unacceptably soft. Plenty of very sharp images have been posted. I'm still wondering if you might have a soft copy. If portraiture is your game and you want critical sharpness, you may want to consider a prime lens. YMMV.

10. Nick Zochios

Nick Zochios

Feb 12, 2018
    London
    I shoot mostly landscape.I would not say that is unacceptably soft but it is not sharp for sure.
    Those are some of my test samples NIC_0203cs. NIC_0197cs. NIC_0201cs. of my 24-120.I really don't know if its is a bad copy or not.. NIC_0178cs.

11. I don't have an EXIF reader, but: Focusing mode? tripod? f/stop? where was the focusing point?
    Have you fine tuned your AF?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Welcome aboard the cafe,

I moved all the posts from your question from the showcase area to a new thread for further discussion. The showcase threads tend to be more for images with xx lens vs comparison or in depth discussion.

I will add I havev almost pulled the plug on the new 24-120, but my older non vr 24-70 2.8 keeps me happy, although it is huge. I will probably take the plunge when I get the new body. I also wouldn’t put past sample variation either. I have seen that in side by side lens comparisons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    One tip to test sharpness, take a pic of a magazine or open book at a 45’ angle about 10-20ft away from the lens at 24, 60, 90 and 120mm and see how the focus is at each place, and again on a larger street sign at 30-40 yards, You can tell a lot by checking the sharpness of the text. Oh..... use a tripod, shutter 5 second delay, VR off for a fair comparable test. try about f5.6. and agan wide open, you will learn about your lens too.

14. I think the 24-70mm 2.8 is sharper, but my issue with that lens is that 2.8 is just too slow for me. I'd rather have the range of the 24-120mm, paired with a fast prime or two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. I agree. I had the older 24-70 G for a while, but it was too bulky for my taste. I believe I have a decent copy of the 24-120, and don't notice a huge difference in sharpness in the common focal range. Having VR is definitely a plus for landscapes at dusk. The 24-120 is weakest around 85-120mm, where I definitely need to stop down at least one stop. It's also less than perfect in the corners at 24mm.

I tend to bring my 85/1.8 along for situations that need more wide open sharpness and better bokeh, and my 16-35 to cover the weakness at 24mm.

Cheers

Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. I'm very happy with my 24-85. I've thought of getting the 24-120, but the comments about lack of sharpness at long end of the 24-120 and it's larger size and higher cost have kept me away. If I need more than 85, I'd just as soon go to my 70-200/4, which is IMHO one of Nikon's best. The 24-85 isn't for low-light or shallow DOF, but I don't think 24-120 is either, that's where primes win out. If I shot events, I'd get the f2.8's - 24-70 and 70-200, but I don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nick Zochios

Nick Zochios

Feb 12, 2018
    London
    Thanks a lot all for your replies!
    How would you judge my lens just by the above shots? is that possible?
    What is your opinion?

18. Looks like something similar to what you'd get with the 24-70mm. Also what body are you using? I'd only get 24-70mm if you need the 2.8 and use it for low light situations where you need the faster aperture and quick focus. Saying that, you'll definitely get sharper results with a prime and the ability to shoot faster apertures.

It really depends on your needs and what you shoot.

19. What exactly looks soft to you?

If you can provide answers to the questions I posed above (#12) we could provide more informed and far more helpful answers. I asked:

I don't have an EXIF reader, but: Focusing mode? tripod? f/stop? where was the focusing point?
    Have you fine tuned your AF?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.