Nikon 24-70 refurbished problem

I bought a Nikon 24-70 refurbished from Nikon's website last week and noticed the focus ring was extremely tight. I turned the ring back and forth few times and the ring popped loose to almost no resistance when turning. In comparing to my 70-200 VR2 it has about 1/3 the dampening tension. My 18-200 is a little looser than this lens.The auto focus is working great.So I'm debating if I should return for refund, get it repaired or live with the loose focus ring. I have read alot of horror stories about Nikon blaming owners and charging for repairs and the lens only has a 90 day warranty and 14 day returns for defective lens.

Is it normal for the focus ring to loosen some over time? If the lens wasn't so expensive I would probably let it slide.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Since you are still in the return policy window, I would return it and ask them to fix it.

I don't know if your Nikon lens has this feature but my Sigma lens focus ring has a AF/MF feature - push the focus ring to to do AF and it pretty much spins freely, pull it for MF and switch the camera to MF and it has resistance as it should when manual focusing. It's worth a look...

Nikon is currently sold out of 24-70 refurbs so I cannot exchange it. They were running a special last week for $1349 compared to $1860 new. It looked like a great deal and I read alot of great reviews about this lens refurbished "better than new" was a comment I read alot. I guess I learned my lesson about buying refurbished products. I just cannot believe Nikon would resell a lens in this condition. The focus ring was so tight at first that it felt like it could damage the mount turning it.

Return it, get your money back and check the for sale forum here, on keh, FM, and craigslist. Should be able to find a used one

Latest threads

Top Bottom