1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by clickmepp, Oct 3, 2008.

1. clickmepp

clickmepp

Oct 1, 2007
    Germany
    I am looking to buy Nikon 24-70mm F/2.8. I am not in hurry. I can wait til end of this year?

Where can I get the best deal?
    Is there any coupon?
    Will there be any discount during Thanks giving and Christmas?

Opinion will be appreciated.

-Paz

2. I'm in the same boat but if i could find a second hand one i would go that way if anyone knows of one i would appreciate a contact.

Alan

3. I don't see this one getting discounted much at all, even used. Demand still seems high, and competition is low - though Sigma has released a new version of their own 24-70 with HSM.

4. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    The Sigma 24-70 seems decent, but very noisy to me. It's definitely a lot cheaper, but I'd still prefer the Nikon. I don't want my lens to sound like I'm retracting a boat anchor every time I focus.

5. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    Allen's has them regularly at $1599
    allenscamera.com
    info@allenscamera.com

I've purchased two from him...because I totaled the first one when it fell out of my backpack!!!

6. stamp22

stamp22

Mar 15, 2008
    Los Angeles
    SIXTEEN HUNDRED for a toy, I dont think the my CFO will approve it. :frown: I had to settle down with a Sigma (24-60)

7. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    ah, put it all into perspective!
    i don't go out and spend chunks of money just like that. i save up bits at a time. i wrote a freelance article for a magazine + photos to pay for that lens... so i look for supplemental income to fund my 'toys'!

Your CFO should approve an extrabudgetary expenditure as long as it isn't coming from General Operating Funds. Maybe you should set up an additional Toy Fund which generates interest...even if it's just a couple of $ a year, it's better than nothing!

k

p.s. My insurance paid for the second lens!

8. clickmepp

clickmepp

Oct 1, 2007
    Germany
    Buydig sells it for $1580 (approx)...It is a good deal? BUYDIG belongs to Beachcamera...

Any opinion to buy from BUYDIG pls?

9. If there's any doubt don't bother with them. Ratings can be manipulated and it's simply not worth the potential headaches. In general it's best to spend a few bucks more with a proven well known shop and be confident with the product and vendor....

Cheers

Ted:smile:

10. Buydig is excellent in my experience. I bought many items from them over the past several years, no problems. If you search the name here you'll see that others tend to agree.

11. a toy?

The 24-70 is most definitely not a toy. That lens is awesome. Probably the most-used lens in my bag...can hardly wait to get a D3 someday and try it on full frame format. The lens amazes me more each time I use it. Speaking just for myself, if I HAD to pick just 3 lenses to have in the bag (ridiculous thought anyway) it would be the 24-70, the 85 1.4, and the 105 VR which would cover the majority of what I shoot. That being said, thankfully NAS seems to be fully in effect and just acquired a (new to me) 70-200 so looking forward to working with that lens as well.

When I got the 24-70 I wasn't sure how much I would actually be using it. Now I think that lens should probably be the first one anyone serious about photography should probably get. Just IMHO...Of course if Nikon gets around to updating the wider primes well there's that darned NAS thing again...

12. kgill

kgill

Jul 25, 2007
    Europe
    i agree with keith.

i have had great experience with buydig but since i found out about allen from gaddgetguy here, i prefer buying from him. He is a small business owner, one guy who owns a camera store and puts in 16hr days to make sure people like us get the stuff we want when we want it at competitive prices.

For what its worth, I bought my Tamron 90 from buydig, but checked first with Tamron to ask about their relationship and Tamron said they are excellent retailers. I hope that helps, but I hope you buy from Allen!

13. Buydig or Beach Camera is a fine place to buy from!

I've bought a lot of gear from them and never had a problem. I wholeheartedly recommend them.

The other stores I shop with are mostly B&H and KEH, which have the best return policies. Occasionally I will get stuff from Adorama, Cameta, and 17th St Photo, too.

14. As Kgill put it try Allen's Camera first. I would then opt for B&H, Cameta, Adorama and some others in that order.

15. shaocaholica

shaocaholica

Jul 21, 2008
    LA
    Thats the OLD sigma. The new Sigma 24-70 uses the near silent HSM ring motor with full time manual focus. Its also got an updated optical design to making it the newest 24-70/2.8 on the block next to the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 and then the Nikkor 24-70 with Canon now having the oldest design in production.

16. A CFO can't afford a toy?:biggrin::eek: :biggrin:

17. Nikon 24-70 vs. 28-70...

Hi to All...

It amazes me that sooooo very many seem to want to just simply jump on the 24-70 bandwagon. Why, when the 28-70 f/2.8 "The Beast" offers virtually similar performance at a price of some several hundred dollars...LESS...

As part of the Nikonians.Org website, there's a podcast called, "The Image Doctors" which is presented bi-weekly by two extremely knowledgeable guys. In their "episode #61" they compared - at length - the 24-70 and the 28-70. The bottom line? They're virtually identical in terms of IQ. Yet, that key factor often seems to be overlooked.

What's more, translate that to IQ as it comes out of one's printer and I dare say that it'd be IMPOSSIBLE to tell which lens took which PRINTED image in whatever size one may choose to print.

I'd sugest that many might want to do their wallet or credit card a favor and buy the 28-70 and save several hundred dollars. You'll probably NEVER see the difference on paper, for frankly, there really isn't any.

If you can, listen to that podcast, and then make your decision. I've had my 28-70 for years and I wouldn't dream of parting with it for reasons as silly as those one often sees.

Good luck to all and good luck with your purchases.

18. reason for 24-70

I got the 24-70 as part of my system to cover from 14mm to 200mm without gaps. Would the 28-70 have done just as well? From what I have read it seems the answer is yes. In fact I probably should have gone that route to save some money but now that I have the 24-70 it's kind of a moot point. If I had done more research prior to buying I may have gotten the 28-70 instead.

19. It may not be about dollars, it may be because the beast doesn't go to 24 :smile:. That little factor made me trade my beast for the 24-70. 28 is just not all that wide on an FX body. If you are using the beast on a DX body it becomes a 42-105. The 24-70 becomes a much more usable 35-105. I have owned both lenses and currently own the 24-70. I personally feel the 24-70 IQ is improved over the beast. In fact, for a zoom, that lens would be hard to improve upon IMHO. My .02.

20. Tom Larsen

Tom Larsen

Jan 18, 2008
    Denmark
    I have bought a D80+18-200 and my D300 plus two P&Ss and a 70-300VR from Beach Camera. All US spec and delivered as ordered promptly with no problems of any kind. I will use them again without hesitation. My 24-70 was bought from Allen's, as I by happenstance had business in the neighborhood (300 miles from home), and I wanted to try it before I bought it. I would also use Allen's again any day. The 24-70 has been my walk-around since I bought it, it is expensive but worth it.

Just got my first used lens today, a 17-35 mm f2.8. It was bought from someone I know and in like new condition, you will find that 24 mm is not always wide enough on a DX body.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.