Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 - F vs Z

It is true what Nikon says about the benefit of the larger mount diameter and the shorter flange length of the Z-mount. New Z 24-70mm F2.8 is shorter (126mm vs. 154mm), much lighter (805g vs. 1070g), and gives a better MTF than the already-good F version. The arrival of the mirrorless age is undeniable.

(MTF charts copyright by Nikon)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Just bought one. Z6 + 24-70 + FTZ for a hair under $2600 before a $200 trade up discount and $220 trade in value on a D5500 on great condition.

The Z 24-70 feels A LOT more compact than the F 24-70. Not as robust bild but I don't need to be chiseling rocks with it. What is really impressive though is that the Z 14-30/4 is about the same size and weight and take 82mm filters. The ability to ditch and Uber heavy D00E + 14-24/2.8 + a set of giant wonderpana filters for Z6 + 14-30 + a stack of 82mm filters is what made me reexamine my decision to initially ignore the Z 6 mk1 and wait for the mk2.

So far I am smitten. Same great Nikon ergonomic s at half the fat.

Just bought one. Z6 + 24-70 + FTZ for a hair under $2600 before a $200 trade up discount and $220 trade in value on a D5500 on great condition.

The Z 24-70 feels A LOT more compact than the F 24-70. Not as robust bild but I don't need to be chiseling rocks with it. What is really impressive though is that the Z 14-30/4 is about the same size and weight and take 82mm filters. The ability to ditch and Uber heavy D00E + 14-24/2.8 + a set of giant wonderpana filters for Z6 + 14-30 + a stack of 82mm filters is what made me reexamine my decision to initially ignore the Z 6 mk1 and wait for the mk2.

So far I am smitten. Same great Nikon ergonomic s at half the fat.
Just for reference the Z 14-30 is considerably smaller than the Z 24-70 f4, when the WA lens is extended it is maybe 1.5 - 2.0 cm shorter than the 'kit' zoom, I also understand that the sharpness of the new WA lens blows the f mount 14-24 f2.8 out of the water.

As many have said the '24-70 kit lens' is damn good, I will be very interested to see that the f2.8 version brings to the table other than a bit of extra light and some extra weight. For me the compactness of the f4 range of Z series zoom lenses are what I am looking for as it is a size and weight reduction in my kit that I am aiming for.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Is this validation that the new Z mount with larger lens barrel and rear element does indeed allow Nikon to present superior image quality to the sensor? Is this because the portion of the image projected onto the sensor comes from the center sweet spot of the lens elements and the portion of the image closer to the edges is "thrown away" (similar to using an FX lens on a DX body)?

It would be interesting to see if Canon or Leica (both have adopted larger lens mounts) have similar results with the native lenses for their new platforms compared to their traditional FX mount lenses.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom